• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Database users for Google Cloud SQL do not have permissions for database

I've just added a Google Cloud SQL server to my Plesk install, got a couple of apps with very heavy DB usage that I'm going to offload. Copying the databases to Google Cloud via the Plesk interface works very well, I can also add a user which is then passed across to Google Cloud no problem.

When testing this with a simple WordPress site, I get the following database error:
  • We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the wordpress_666_gc database.
If I use the root login for the Google Cloud SQL cluster it works fine. If I delete the user in Google Cloud SQL and re-add the user with the same username and password as created in Plesk it also works. After this last step if I edit the database user after this last step I find that the role dropdown is set to Custom and all of the privileges are not ticked. If I save the database user I am unable to connect again.

I feel like there are some permissions needed on Google Cloud that are not being set by Plesk and are not available in the interface

In case it's relevant mysql --version gives me:

Code:
mysql  Ver 15.1 Distrib 10.3.23-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1

And the Google Cloud SQL is using MySQL v8.

Perhaps the problem is that this MySQL version is not yet supported in Plesk: Software Requirements for Plesk Obsidian
Ah yes OK, seems likely, I will test with another version on Google Cloud.

I'm interested in why this seems to be the only issue that I've come across and once the user is created manually on GC it seems to work fine. I'm wondering if it's because the version of php I'm using and the WordPress SQL queries happen to work with MySQL 8 and Plesk isn't directly involved when the application actually runs? VS. managing the databases and users being a Plesk activity?

Back