• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Wordpress MU on a subdomain

L. Hagen

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

currently I've a "small" problem with installing a Wordpress MU on a subdomain and I'm not sure if this possible what I'm trying to do. So I hope that somebody here can help me.

The situation looks like this:
  • there is a company domain domain.com running a CMS different to Wordpress
  • now I've planed to install a Wordpress MU network under a subdomain for several landingpages, like:
    • landing.domain.com
  • generally spoken in the end I'd like to have something like
    • blog.domain.com
    • campain.domain.com
    • press.domain.com
  • the first problem is that I don't manage the server in total. I have only the possibility to create domains or subdomains but I have no access to vhost settings etc.
  • currently, I tried to create my subdomains and gave them the same hosting directory
    • landing.domain.com -> /var/www/httpdocs
    • blog.domain.com -> /var/www/httpdocs
    • etc.
    • when I access landing.domain.com the wordpress site is shown correctly, but when I call any of the landingpages, e.g. blog.domain.com a white page is shown (no information given in the logs). I had expected that it would show me the same page as "landing" does. It seems so that Plesk is doing here something in the background but I don't know what...
Is this possible what I'm planing to do? and how to do this? All previous actions with domain mapping plugins etc. failed. So I guess I made something wrong.... :)

Thank you for your help!

best regards,
Lars

Last edited:
What is the error_log content for the domains that do not show the correct page? It should reveal the root cause of the issue.

Hi L. Hagen,

there can be several situations, where you might experience a "blank page", instead of the desired content. Plugins, themes and possible wp-config misconfigurations are only a few of the possible reasons and you should at least check your your PHP - Handler and the permissions. Switching on "debugging" at the "wp-config" and using the "debug - level" - mode for your webserver - configuration could help as well to point you to possible misconfigurations and ".htaccess" - files and ( if nginx is in use ), you should not forget to post additional rewrites and as well ALL webserver - configuration files, so that people willing to help you have something to start with the investigations.

At the moment, we are only able to guess, what might be misconfigured and this is a really time - investing process, which will not only waste YOUR time, but as well the time from people who are trying to help you with your investigations. Pls. provide MORE facts and write in detail, WHAT you configured and HOW you configured the subdomains over Plesk and pls. don't forget to provide informations about the webserver configuration and as well the used PHP - handler(s). As I wrote before, consider to use "debug" - log - level modes and provide corresponding log - file - entries from each depending service. ;)

oh man, my intention was not to waste anybodys times but to see if there is a general problem with my described intention.
But ok, I changed my setting and try to give some other information. At first this is not my own server and I don't have full access. So I'm very limited and don't have access to additional logs etc. (used to use with my own server). I can only interact with the Plesk interface.
  • System Plesk 12.5.30
  • PHP 5.6.31
What I have done now:
  • I removed my previously created subdomains with the Wordpress
  • created two new subdomains a.domain.com and b.domain.com
  • both subdomains are pointing to the same hosting directory /www/landing
  • in /www/landing is an index.html that looks like
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

<HTML>
<HEAD>
        <TITLE>PlaceHolder for nhla.microtec.eu</TITLE>
        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
        <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache">
</HEAD>

<BODY>

<p>landing</p>

</BODY>
</HTML>

When I access now a.domain.com or b.domain.com I expected to see "landing", but I only see a white page. There are no logs written and available to check.
So the first question is now:
  • is my general approach the right one (e.g. can I point with two subsomains to the same directory in Plesk as I did)?
  • had somebody else the same problem in the past and found a solution?

regards,
Lars

Back