• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Input WordPress Toolkit - Error when securing Security keys containing special characters

Knarf

Basic Pleskian
The WordPress Toolkit has proved to be a great tool to quickly secure a WordPress installation.
However today I had a couple of sites throwing an error when using the toolkit.

After securing some websites with the WordPress Toolkit I got an error like this, after which the website became unusable:

An error occurred while checking the administrator username on the WordPress instance '<website name>'.
An error occurred while checking security keys of the WordPress installation '<website name>'.
An error occurred while checking the status of pingbacks for the WordPress installation '<website name>'.
An error occurred while checking the status of scripts concatenation for WP admin panel on '<website name>'.

After researching I found out that this was caused after securing the "Security keys" was applied.
My keys shows in the particular installation looked like this first:

define('AUTH_KEY', 'f7sXx[2wbB@LBwlxS{A56y>+Etq0o1PGhCtMXz iq\\Ms}?(;_a#ypoR5\'3w<G5>FL~1X');
define('SECURE_AUTH_KEY', '-\"r642fed3E1d>}MdGFlh@tR!QPU%/!S_6;CjO0}^>6TEtq0o1PGhCtM+ <?)3 U#*X;');
define('LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'Q^l\"6-pLEtq0o1PGhCtM\zkw>OG<U$%u0:9H:Jl)+d$~jIBTt&CPL[Dp<KY4zL3y');
define('NONCE_KEY', 'asdasdjkasdjkEtq0o1PGhCtMjklasdjklasdkl&^%^&*(&*(jklasdjklasdjkl&*)))');

Probably characters like ";" are interfering with the Wordpress Toolkit.
I found a workaround by manually applying other keys first and then do securing the "security keys" again, and this has worked for me.
So I wanted to share this information for a possible future update.

Back