• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Wordpress "uploads" folders getting created with root permissions

Ned Griffith

New Pleskian
I have dozens of WordPress sites on my Plesk Onyx server.

They run on PHP 7.03 and NGINX.

When Wordpress automatically creates the new year/month directories each month in the /wp-content/uploads directory, the folders are getting created with root permissions instead of the "{user}" permissions.

When a WordPress Administrator logs in and attempts to upload media through the WordPress admin panel he unable to do so due to the root permissions.

I have to manually change the ownership of the folders each month after they get created in order for them to work properly.

Why is this happening? I have searched for answers/solutions and found nothing.

maybe it wouldbe helpful for the comunity that you describe a bit more your settings & plesk version ilke

PHP runs as fpm or fastcgi?
how looks like the permission and ownership of the automatically created folders

What other informatino do you need to know? I am running PHP as FPM on NGINX.

Wordpress sites used to work fine. I don't know what settings might have changed. Each time a new "uploads" subdirectory gets created, it gets created with root ownership.

What else do you need to know?

I realise this thread is a year old, but I've been bumping into this exact problem on a VPS for several months now, and the customer is starting to get annoyed about it, having to contact me everything month to update permissions (it's a managed VPS). For a while I thought it might be revslider, as that had root permissions, but it's still happening despite my having corrected that. I've put a cron job in place to fix it, but that's a band-aid.

OP, did you track down the source of the problem?

Back