• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Xinetd ftp issue after update 89 [Plesk 17.8.11]

fabrizioi

Basic Pleskian
Hi All,

After upgrade #89 I have some issue with ftp access. (Plesk 17.8.11 #89, CentoOs 7 X64)

I need to restart xinetd service in order to connect via ftp to my domains after 2/3 hours of activities.

I have inspected this issue I believe there is an ssl issue.
The problem seems to be:
PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib64/security/pam_stack.so): /usr/lib64/security/pam_stack.so: cannot open shared

service xinetd status

Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status xinetd.service
● xinetd.service - Xinetd A Powerful Replacement For Inetd
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/xinetd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-08-26 12:18:20 CEST; 52s ago
Process: 79018 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/xinetd -stayalive -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid $EXTRAOPTIONS (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: 79019 (xinetd)
Tasks: 2
Memory: 2.8M
CGroup: /system.slice/xinetd.service
├─79019 /usr/sbin/xinetd -stayalive -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
└─79032 proftpd: dev04_mydomain - XX.XX.XX.XX: IDLE

Aug 26 12:18:20 serverdedicato.mydomain.com xinetd[79019]: removing tcpmux
Aug 26 12:18:20 serverdedicato.mydomain.com xinetd[79019]: removing time
Aug 26 12:18:20 serverdedicato.mydomain.com xinetd[79019]: removing time
Aug 26 12:18:20 serverdedicato.mydomain.com xinetd[79019]: xinetd Version 2.3.15 started with libwrap loadavg labeled-networking options compiled in.
Aug 26 12:18:20 serverdedicato.mydomain.com xinetd[79019]: Started working: 2 available services
Aug 26 12:18:20 serverdedicato.mydomain.com systemd[1]: Started Xinetd A Powerful Replacement For Inetd.
Aug 26 12:18:41 serverdedicato.mydomain.com xinetd[79019]: START: ftp pid=79032 from=::ffff:94.89.6.74
Aug 26 12:18:41 serverdedicato.mydomain.com proftpd[79032]: mod_tls/2.9: certificate '/usr/local/psa/admin/conf/httpsd.pem': expired on Mar 21 16:40:00 2019 GMT
Aug 26 12:18:41 serverdedicato.mydomain.com proftpd[79032]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib64/security/pam_stack.so): /usr/lib64/security/pam_stack.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Aug 26 12:18:41 serverdedicato.mydomain.com proftpd[79032]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib64/security/pam_stack.so

Any suggestions about that ?

Thanks in advance

Hi IgorG,

Thanks for the suggestions, I have read the links provided in the post: How to fix PROFTPD login failed error

My version of /etc/pam.d/proftp is a little bit different

#%PAM-1.0
auth required<--->pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed
auth required<--->pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth required<--->pam_shells.so
account required<--->pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session required<--->pam_stack.so service=system-auth

Do you recommend to completly override ? (after a backup of the current config file)

Regards

Do you recommend to completly override ? (after a backup of the current config file)
On my test Plesk server I see following content of this file:

Code:
# cat /etc/pam.d/proftpd
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required    pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed
auth       required    pam_shells.so
auth       include     system-auth
account    include     system-auth
session    include     system-auth
session    required    pam_loginuid.so

Tru to backup and then replace this file.

Hi IgorG,

I never edit this file. this is the default when I have fresh install plesk 17.8.11.

I have backuped the file and replaced with your version; restarted the service, done.
I have uploaded some files correcly.

I need some days in order to verify if the isssue is fixed, but seems to be good.

Thanks you very much for your help.

Best Regards

Hi IgorG,

Unfortunately Ftp stop working again.

I believe the problem can be the following, but I'm not sure:
mod_tls/2.9: certificate '/usr/local/psa/admin/conf/httpsd.pem': expired on Mar 21 16:40:00 2019

Regards

I believe that's the same certificate you set here: https://<yourplesk>:8443/admin/ssl-certificate/list in "Certificate for securing Plesk"
Why is it expired?
I don't know if it's the cause of your FTP problems, but fixing that is always good.

Hi all,

Sorry for the late in the reply.

Sure the certificate as the same and renew it, also fix the ssl issue on ftp side.

But actually I haven't secured plesk panel with ssl certificates.

I have fix the issue for now with this workaround

/etc/xinet.d/ftp_psa

added lines:

per_source = UNLIMITED

I have test it on 2 WebServer with Plesk 17.8.x, and after one week seem to be stable.

I believe that the correct way will be protect Plesk with an ssl certificates.

Thanks you very much for your help.

Best Regards

Fabrizio

Back