• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Can not log in to FTP

Pentarou

Basic Pleskian
Hello,

There is suddenly something strange going on with the plesk FTP server that prevents me from logging in, I have not changed anything regarding FTP.

The command service xinetd status outputs the following error:

Code:
PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib64/security/pam_stack.so): /usr/lib64/security/pam_stack.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib64/security/pam_stack.so

What is going on and how do I solve this?

Thank you in advance!

Maybe I'm not supposed to, because of my lack of knowledge about passive FTP, but I can't reach both passive ports 49152 65535 from my computer, added both ports the same way I did for the database in this post.

Still not reachable.

I can access FTP through powershell just fine, just not FileZilla it would seem.

Please take into concider to tell the comunity which system and Plesk Version you use and also the log from filezilla would be revealing

for passive ftp see also: [Troubleshooting]Unable to connect to the server via FTP in the passive mode & (Plesk for Linux) Configuring Passive FTP Mode

but I can't reach both passive ports 49152 65535 from my computer, added both ports the same way I did for the database in this post.

Still not reachable.

I can access FTP through powershell just fine, just not FileZilla it would seem.

Passiv ftp is not using 2 Ports it is using a Port Range like from-to (49152-65535) and has to be configured in the proftp config file and of course in the firewall
BTW your link where you reference to database post seems to be broken

Last edited:
Hello Brujo, and thank you kindly for your reply.

Good call, I'm running Plesk 17.5.3 on CentOS 7, below you will find the log file from FileZilla.
For security reasons, I replaced the host name and IP with fictitious values.
Code:
Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:    PWD
Response:    257 "/" is the current directory
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 Type set to I
Command:    PASV
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (136,144,181,178,214,145).
Command:    MLSD
Error:    Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:    Failed to retrieve directory listing

And below is what xinetd status had to say about all of this:
I replaced the host name with fictitious values.
Code:
Apr 06 19:39:59 server.renandstimpy.com xinetd[8290]: START: ftp pid=13354 from=...
Apr 06 19:40:19 server.renandstimpy.com xinetd[8290]: START: ftp pid=13378 from=...
Apr 06 19:40:40 server.renandstimpy.com xinetd[8290]: START: ftp pid=13382 from=...
Apr 06 19:50:13 server.renandstimpy.com xinetd[8290]: EXIT: ftp status=0 pid=133...
Apr 06 19:50:20 server.renandstimpy.com xinetd[8290]: EXIT: ftp status=0 pid=133...
Apr 06 19:50:41 server.renandstimpy.com xinetd[8290]: EXIT: ftp status=0 pid=133...
Apr 06 21:10:46 server.renandstimpy.com xinetd[8290]: START: ftp pid=14466 from=...
Apr 06 21:11:05 server.renandstimpy.com xinetd[8290]: START: ftp pid=14490 from=...
Apr 06 21:11:05 server.renandstimpy.com xinetd[8290]: EXIT: ftp status=0 pid=144...

Again, out of the blue.

Hello Mark Muyskens, and thank you kindly for your reply.

After encountering the same problem before, I followed, checked and rechecked this documentation on configuring the passive FTP mode.
Configuring the passive FTP mode solved the problem for a while, but now the problem is suddenly back again.

The firewall is set to Allow incoming from all on port 49152-65535/tcp

So I've checked my firewall and deleted an unused rule Allow incoming from all on port 8447/tcp, which I can't remember what I used it for.
Somehow, this solved the problem.

Hello Mark Muyskens, and thank you kindly for your reply.
Strange, how does opening port 8447 for the auto installer conflicts with FTP, I wonder.

Back