• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue XML-Api deprecated features since 17.8

pilleee

New Pleskian
Hey people,

Upgrading to Plesk 17.8, I suddenly found out that some "older" features of the XML-Api are not supported anymore (including the ftp-user features). Since I have WebApps that consume a lot of those features, all of those doesn't work anymore with 17.8. I get the following error:

Parser error: Request is invalid. Error in line 3: Element 'ftp-user': This element is not expected. Expected is one of ( request-settings, server, customer, webspace, subdomain, dns, db_server, mail, certificate, site-alias ).

I googled around a lot to find any workaround or alternative for this, but didn't find one yet. Even the docs dont tell me what to do now - they just say that this is a deprecated feature which has been removed completely with 17.8.

Managing FTP Accounts

About XML API

I looked at the Rest-API, since this is going to replace the XML-Api completely in far future (which I really appreciate), but (as the docs say) the functionality here is really limited compared to the "old" XML-Api.
So, to the responsible developers: Why are you removing such a feature or call it "deprecated" when not even mentioning any alternative to that? If I oversee something that is in fact available, I say sorry for any inconveniences. But as I am a developer myself, this is really weird behaviour - especially for such a great and big tool like plesk ;)

Thanks for any help about this..

Last edited:
I've used the API to PUT /domains/{ID}

$cargo = [
"hosting_type" => "virtual",
'hosting_settings' => [

'ftp_login' => $ftpName,
'ftp_password' => $ftpPass,
],
];

But it seems to be more limited as to the settings you can set.

Last edited:
It only gets worse.

The above put while it does update ftp_login and ftp_password also unfortunately modifies the login name to the account at the same time.

Also it doesn't seem possible to update ftp_webroot with the API.

I got a response from Plesk, which said "There are no substitutions for the dropped XML methods."

This is very bad for existing extensions, and I can't believe they would abandon developers like this . . . maybe once 17.8 gets beyond beta :/

We are thinking of adding plesk rest api support but if its more limited than the XML Api we can't use it. And if XML Api is deprectated we won't create an extension for something that's going away...whats the official statement on this?

We are thinking of adding plesk rest api support but if its more limited than the XML Api we can't use it. And if XML Api is deprectated we won't create an extension for something that's going away...whats the official statement on this?
Please read carefully this document About REST API and please describe in detail what exactly does not allow you to carry out your plans for extensions?

I read the API and thought that the documentation was incomplete because it contained so much less than the XML API. I looked at the REST CLI Gateway and found a solution that I could do a lot more. But I still failed to find a solution for additional Nginx and PHP Settings, which is available through the UI but not (fully) through CLI. Is that the Idea? To use the CLI Gateway for more complex tasks? That would work, if the CLI Supported everything that the UI does.

Back