• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How do I list Web Users with the XML API in Plesk Obsidian?

Reinier Post

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.59 CentOS 7 1800240229.10
I am planning to migrate around 150 old-style websites (on a single domain) to a Plesk Obsidian installation, and web users would be a perfect fit.

We are a reseller, not administrator, without root rights on the Linux host; we do have access to the XML API.
I've been using it for reporting; and now I want to use it to list and create web users.

Plesk offers a separate command line utility for this, which I can't use due to lack of permissions.

Previous versions of the XML API supported a webuser request for this purpose (see e.g. http://plesk.github.io/api-schemas/1.6.8.0/agent_input.svg and search for webuser) but the present version doesn't (see http://plesk.github.io/api-schemas/1.6.9.1/agent_input.svg) and when I send a webuser request using version 1.6.8.0, I get permission denied.

This is an issue, because it used to be supported, and I want to create lots of web users, and I need to be able to list them afterwards.

Why did this go away? Is the web user feature deprecated? Is there an alternative way in the XML API to list and manipulate webusers now; if so, how?

Thank you, Kaspar, for the swift reply and the pointer. I couldn't find an announcement like that.
Unfortunately, the support article isn't quite correct:
  1. It says ftp-user is no longer supported in Onyx (API version 1.6.8.0), but it is still supported in 1.6.9.1, and I rely on it, too.
  2. It says webuser is no longer supported in Onyx (API version 1.6.8.0) but it is still in there (it is absent in 1.6.9.1); I just get permission denied when I use it.
I wonder why operators are removed for lack of popularity; no doubt continuing them requires some work, but having an incomplete API is bad. I don't want to use web users (or ftp users) if I can't list them with the API.

It would be a different matter if support for webusers were removed from Plesk altogether.

Back