• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question You have ActivePython and/or ActivePerl components installed on your server. Plesk no longer license

Carloz

Basic Pleskian
Hello, I've just updated my plesk to:

Plesk Onyx
Versione 17.8.11 Aggiorna #35, ultimo aggiornamento il 21/Dic/2018 22.00

And appeared this warning: "You have ActivePython and/or ActivePerl components installed on your server. Plesk no longer licenses them from ActiveState. To avoid violating the license agreement, you need to take action."

If I go to "strumenti e impostazioni" --> "componenti server" it appear this:

Info (ultimo aggiornamento: 22/Dic/2018 10.51)
Nome del componente Versione del componente
Plesk
v Plesk for Windows 17.8.11
Antivirus
v Plesk Premium Antivirus 11.0.0.10030, last update: 21.12.2018 22:00, known viruses' signatures: 9261414
Application Initialization
Sistema di backup
Connettore Database
v MySQL Connector/ODBC 3.51.30
Server DNS
v BIND DNS Server 9.10.6-P1
.NET Core
Firewall
v Windows Firewall Service Pack 1
Server FTP
v Microsoft FTP Service 7.5.7601.17855
HTTP Content Compression
Server di posta
v MailEnable Standard 10.12
Migration & Transfer Manager
v Migration Manager v12.5.30.30062
Server MySQL
v MySQL 5.1 Server 5.1.73
Rete
Node.js
Plesk Agent
v Plesk Agent 1.6.9.0
Scripting web
v ASP 7.5.7601.17514
v ASP.NET 3.5.30729.5420
v ASP.NET 4.7.03062
v FastCGI Support 7.5.7601.17514
v Perl v5.10.1 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
v PHP 5.2.17
v PHP 5.3.29
v PHP 5.4.45
v PHP 5.5.38
v PHP 5.6.39
v PHP 7.0.33
vPHP 7.1.25
v PHP 7.2.13
v Python 2.6.5.12
SpamAssassin
v Plesk SpamAssassin 3.4.1
Microsoft SQL Webadmin
v ASP.NET Enterprise Manager 0.5.0
Webadmin di MySQL
v phpMyAdmin 4.8.4
Statistiche web
v AWStats 7.7
v Webalizer V2.01-10-RB02 (Windows NT 6.1 Service Pack 1) English
Risoluzione di problemi
v Failed Requests Tracing 7.5.7600.16385
Riscrivi URL
v IIS URL Rewrite Module 2 7.2.1980
Sistema di Controllo Versione
Firewall di Applicazione Web
Webmail
v Horde IMP H5 6.2.21
v MailEnable WebMail 10.12
Pubblicazione Web
Server web
v Microsoft IIS 7.5

Considering that I host wordpress and asp websites, and i use awstats statistics and mailenable mailserver and horde webmail, what have I to do to solve this warning? how much time do I have available to solve this problem? the solution/component disinstallation could create problems to hosted websites or email service (or statistics and webmail service)? Tnx

Last edited:
@Carloz

what have I to do to solve this warning? how much time do I have available to solve this problem?

All available options are described in the mentioned article Plesk no longer licenses ActivePython and ActivePerl from ActiveState. How to avoid violation of the license agreement?
Please let me know if we need to clarify any of the steps.

the solution/component disinstallation could create problems to hosted websites or email service (or statistics and webmail service)?

1. The statistics and webmail services will not be impacted.
2. If you have websites running on Perl/Python, they can stop working properly. To check this:
- run the script Find-PerlAndPythonFiles.ps1 from the article Plesk no longer licenses ActivePython and ActivePerl from ActiveState. How to avoid violation of the license agreement?.
- in the console output, you will see the names of the subscriptions where any of *.pl or *.py files are used.
- if you have no such subscriptions, the ActiveState Perl/Python components can be safely deleted from a Plesk server.
- if you have subscriptions with used *.pl or *.py files, it would be better to contact the owners of this subscriptions. Here you have options of purchase a license directly from ActiveState or use alternative solutions (described in the article).

Thank you for your reply :)

I've just checked on windows control panel --> programs and features as described in the article, and I can't see activepearl and activepython installed. There aren't in the programs list...

Could it mean that they aren't installed and that it is ok so?!

I think that no one of the hosted websites uses python... They are all wordpress websites, html websites, and a couple of asp websites...

if I do nothing and I ignore the warning, what will happen? Activepearl and python will simply stop working, or the whole plesk will stop working? (always scared to make changes on a production server. lol. and therefore, if it is possible, I avoid.)

if I do nothing and I ignore the warning, what will happen? Activepearl and python will simply stop working, or the whole plesk will stop working?

Everything will work as before, but if you have installed ActiveState Perl/Python components, it violates the ActiveState license agreement now, and you can be contacted by ActiveState directly to purchase a license from them.

Everything will work as before, but if you have installed ActiveState Perl/Python components, it violates the ActiveState license agreement now, and you can be contacted by ActiveState directly to purchase a license from them.

Got it. I see that in activestate registry key folder, there are 4 folders: activeperl, activepython, perlex and perlscript.

Have I to delete all these folders or only activeperl and activepython?

Thanks again :)

Have I to delete all these folders or only activeperl and activepython?

I can't say for sure. If you have no installed ActiveState components in Program&Features, I suppose these components already were removed from the system. In the system registry left only useless records. Meanwhile, Plesk using these keys to detect the ActiveState components.

You can start by removing activeperl and activepython keys, then go to Plesk -> Tools&Settings -> Server Components -> Refresh. And check that the warning message disappears.

Some days ago I clicked on the X "button" on the corner of the warning message, and the message disappeared and never appeared again. So i can't test it.

Back