• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain.

TurnKeyWebsites

New Pleskian
I'm testing on Newsletters spam test by mail-tester.com and getting a result:
"Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain."

The rDNS correctly matches the domain name
However, the HELO shows the name of the vps

The suggested fix is:
You may want to change your pointer (PTR type) DNS record and the host name of your server to the same value.

In Plesk/DNS settings there is a PTR record that associates the IP address with the domain:
<IP address> PTR domain.tld

The VPS has multiple domains but each has its own IP address.

Is there a way to resolve this in Plesk?

Plesk/server details:
Version Plesk Onyx v17.0.17_build1700161028.14 os_Ubuntu 16.04
OS Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

Thanks

Hi TurnKeyWebsites,

let's see, if the official Plesk documentation can help you to inform yourself about your "Serverwide Mail Settings" ( => Configuring Server-Wide Mail Settings ):

• Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting. If selected, Plesk changes the mail server configuration so that the SMTP greeting contains the name of the domain from which the email message is sent.

Hi UFHH01,

I did see that configuration option, but in the following thread, that option is described as a bad idea by Plesk Guru Peter Debik:
Issue - Problem with reverse DNS (SMTP Banner)

Quote:
"Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting"
"Bad idea on servers that run more than one domain. It will at least place the IP on some blacklists.
SMTP is using the same (main domain IP) for all mail going out, and this should always match the server domain name, not the customer domain name. Else spam traps will think the server is spamming, because it is a common spammers' practice to use different domain greetings on identical IP addresses."

The point of the exercise is to ensure email delivery by making sure email is not accidentally flagged as spam. Based on the above comment, that flag would seem to have the opposite effect?

I did a quick test on mail-tester.com and it did, in fact, remove the error message. A test at mxtoolbox.com still show problems with the rDNS configuration:
Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname
Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

In that thread, weelow suggested the problem was easy to fix but unfortunately I was not able to follow weelow's logic. Richieboydev seemed to have a similar confusion.

I see that you liked the comment - maybe you have a better understanding of what weelow is trying to say, if so can you please expand on his comment?

I the end I am searching for a configuration that will remove all of these errors and not have outgoing email flagged as spam.

Thanks

Hi TurnKeyWebsites,

mxtoolbox.com is a great site, but unfortunately not always correct... ^^ - Consider to use the option "Find problems" and afterwards "Show all tests". You will experience, that IF you setup your server wide settings as suggested, then your output of the example commands should be:

EXAMPLE 1:
Code:
telnet mail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM 25

Trying XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX...
Connected to mail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)

EXAMPLE 2:
Code:
telnet XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 25

Trying XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX...
Connected to mail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)

Setting the correct SPF/DKIM/DMARC ( examples are easy to find here in the forum! ) entries and having an IP for the desired domains will be "best practice", even that only one "/etc/hostname" - definition is possible on your server. If you followed all suggestions, you are fine and save. ;)

Additional informations to your rDNS - entries for your IP(s):
The rDNS - setup for your IP(s) is done over your provider. You are not able to change it on your server or with Plesk. Pls. contact your provider, if they don't offer rDNS - settings for the IP(s) over THEIR Control Panel.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi UFHH01,
I think I understand a little better. The warning:
"Send from domain IP addresses and use domain names in SMTP greeting"
"Bad idea on servers that run more than one domain. It will at least place the IP on some blacklists.

only applies to situations where a single IP address serves multiple domains. In that case, domain-b might look like it's domain-a and could be considering to be 'impersonating domain-a'

When I look at your example 1&2 and compare with my results I am still getting "220 my-vps-name.com ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)" instead of mail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM
It also seems like this vps name is coming from the myhostname= value in /etc/postfix/main.cf

When I test with http://www.dnsinspect.com/, I am seeing the line "Connect to Mail Servers" also reports the same the vps name instead of mail.domain.tld. I suspect this test is also looking at the same file.

I think I have more to configure.

Setting the correct SPF/DKIM/DMARC ( examples are easy to find here in the forum! )
If you could kindly direct me to on of these examples it would be greatly appreciated, I've searched and have not found the info needed to complete this task.

[FYI: rDNS has been set up in the providers' control panel]

Thanks

Hi TurnKeyWebsites,

When I look at your example 1&2 and compare with my results I am still getting "220 my-vps-name.com ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)" instead of mail.YOUR-DOMAIN.COM
It also seems like this vps name is coming from the myhostname= value in /etc/postfix/main.cf
No, a rDNS - entry for your IP(s) is setup either over the Control Panel from your VPS - provider, or has to be done by their support. Pls. ask them to help you here.
The setting "myhostname" in your "main.cf" equals your setting at "/etc/hostname". You are able to change the hostname over the Plesk Control Panel to a FQDN, which should reverse to your main IP of the server.

[FYI: rDNS has been set up in the providers' control panel]
You might check your reverse entry for each IP as well at => DNS Lookup tool, Reverse DNS lookup tool - www.DNSWatch.info for example ( but pls. keep in mind, that DNS - changes might take up to 24-72 hours, untill all world-wide nameservers are synced... it will be shorter "normally", but this answer is a standart, depending on the nameserver - settings from your VPS - provider ).

If you could kindly direct me to on of these examples it would be greatly appreciated, I've searched and have not found the info needed to complete this task.
You mean, you couldn't use the => SEARCH Forum of the forum, as for example => Search Results for Query: DNS SPF DKIM DMARC | Plesk Forum ?

You mean, you couldn't use the => SEARCH Forum of the forum, as for example => Search Results for Query: DNS SPF DKIM DMARC | Plesk Forum ?

Actually, I did search for an answer before I posted the question. I searched again for "Setting the correct SPF/DKIM/DMARC" on your suggestion. It pulled up this thread the & the thread I referenced in this thread.

Your 'simple' search results in 84 entries over 5 pages! I'm not expecting you to do my leg work - but isn't that like looking for a 'needle in a haystack'?

They way you mentioned it, it seemed like it might have been an easy thing for you to direct me to the correct resource.

Sorry to have inconvenienced you. I'm not a plesk guru, nor a product expert and I'm not as familiar with this board as you are.

BTW: The yearly cost for cPanel is only marginally more expensive than Plesk. It equates to less than 2 hours of support time per year. For a product expert, you are not as helpful as you think you are. And I don't know of any customer anywhere that likes 'attitude' when they are trying to solve a problem. I pretty sure the next vps I spin up will be cPanel based on this interaction. Maybe it's a language barrier but no customer wants to made to feel like **** because they are trying to solve a problem!

Hi TurnKeyWebsites,

Your 'simple' search results in 84 entries over 5 pages! I'm not expecting you to do my leg work - but isn't that like looking for a 'needle in a haystack'?
Pls. feel free to add as many additional search words, which might shorten your search results. The search engine is nearly as powerfull as Google for example ( you are as well able to use "word-to-search", just like in other search engines you might know )

They way you mentioned it, it seemed like it might have been an easy thing for you to direct me to the correct resource.
Correct, that "might" indeed shorten YOUR time to search for often discussed threads/posts, but I choosed this way, in order to help you to use the forum and its options, because I thought that might help you more ( as well in the future ) and in fact, it will help as well other forum users, who read this thread as well. :)

Sorry to have inconvenienced you
No no no no no... that is absolutely not the case! :) If my suggestion(s) doesn't fit your needs, or desires, it's me to appologize for not knowing them (yet). :(

BTW: The yearly cost for cPanel is only marginally more expensive than Plesk. It equates to less than 2 hours of support time per year. For a product expert, you are not as helpful as you think you are. And I don't know of any customer anywhere that likes 'attitude' when they are trying to solve a problem. I pretty sure the next vps I spin up will be cPanel based on this interaction. Maybe it's a language barrier but no customer wants to made to feel like **** because they are trying to solve a problem!
Thank you for your feedback. :) I would rather prefer "personal opinions" in private conversations/messages, but pls. ( <= !!! ) feel free to post your personal opinion, whenever you would like to. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back