• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

3 DNS questions?

B

bobp@

Hi:

Server running Pesk7.5Reloaded(linux)
Main Domain is yocowo.com with name servers registered:
ns1.yocowo.com - 72.22.80.68
ns2.yocowo.com - 72.22.80.68

In that Domain are the following DNS records:

yocowo.com. A 72.22.80.68
mail.yocowo.com. A 72.22.80.68
webmail.yocowo.com. A 72.22.80.68
ns1.yocowo.com. A 72.22.80.68
ns2.yocowo.com. A 72.22.80.68
server1.yocowo.com. A 72.22.80.68
yocowo.com. MX (10) mail.yocowo.com.
yocowo.com. NS ns1.yocowo.com.
yocowo.com. NS ns2.yocowo.com.
ftp.yocowo.com. CNAME yocowo.com.
www.yocowo.com. CNAME yocowo.com.
72.22.80.68 / 24 PTR yocowo.com.

Have a couple of dozen other Domains on the Server for which
the following example (real) DNS setup is common ( with appropriate Domain name substituted of course).

ns.revenflo.com. A 72.22.80.68
revenflo.com. A 72.22.80.68
mail.revenflo.com. A 72.22.80.68
webmail.revenflo.com. A 72.22.80.68
revenflo.com. MX (10) mail.revenflo.com.
revenflo.com. NS ns.revenflo.com.
ftp.revenflo.com. CNAME revenflo.com.
www.revenflo.com. CNAME revenflo.com.
72.22.80.68 / 24 PTR revenflo.com.

All domains resolve fine - but some -particularly the above example have
continuing email delivery problems and occasionally sending problems.

I've done all the usual checks re: Client Email programs...etc..

Did some tests at dnsreport and a couple of other online testers and they
all mention 'no' Glue ( A Records) at Parent.

I have a couple of questions. If anyone can provide some insight it would be most appreciated.

1) Does (no Glue - A Records at Parent) - mean that my Main DNS Record above on (yocowo.com) should contain an 'A' record for every "Other" Domain on the Server. (ie: add in an A record for 'revenflo.com - anotherdomain.com....etc ..etc?)

2) Those same reports indicate the "ns.revenflo.com on ns1.yocowo.com is not an
authoritative server. ( is 'stealth)? I've read the docs that I can find but still not clear on what this means?

3) Does the PTR record have a possible bearing on email.

Thank you for any help,

Bobp

If it were me, I'd replace
Code:
[b]revenflo.com. NS ns.revenflo.com.[/b]
with
Code:
[b]revenflo.com. NS ns1.yocowo.com.
revenflo.com. NS ns2.yocowo.com.[/b]
This should get rid of 3 failures on dnsreport (stealth leakage, missing name servers and stealth name servers)

And generally I only have a single domain with a PTR record on each server (there are old posts about this). It's not harmful to have multiple domains with PTRs, but has to do with what mail server names come up at random in the email headers.

The "no Glue - A Records at Parent" is not currently showing up on the report.

Hi:

Thanks for the reply.

Would leaving the current

as is, and adding:
revenflo.com. NS ns1.revenflo.com ( with matching A record)

accomplish the same end?

Also, thank you for the information re: PTR... that seems to explain why I see another 'domain' reference in the header besides the domain I'm sending from.

So, the 'glue' records are applicable only to 'subdomains' and not necessary for other Fully Qualified Domains on the same server.

Thanks,

bobp

Hmmm, that might only work if you change the info at the 'parent' server (domain registrar) as well. Right now it appears that you don't even have the one ns.revenflo.com listed for that domain at the parent server.

Glue records pertain to fqdn's and are also normally at the parent server(s), they send out the IP address of your nameservers, as well as their host names.

The parent servers being such as: m.gtld-servers.net who's information is updated via the domain registrar's

Hi:

Thanks again for replying....

I think I need to get my head straight about this.

yocowo.com has been registered with the Official Registrar as name servers for the Server at 72.22.80.68.
ie: ns1.yocowo.com
ns2.yocowo.com

On that same server we have installed a Domain:
revenflo.com and created an NS and and A record on that Server as:

revenflo.com. A 72.22.80.68

So, is not, yocowo.com the parent of revenflo.com.

Sorry to belabor, but am concerned I have concept wrong.

Thank you.

bobp

But you would first have to also create the nameservers ns.revenflo.com and ns2.revenflo.com and point them to your Plesk server IP address (this is also done from the domain registrar company).

After they are created, you then might have to wait a day or so for it to propagate to the gtld servers.

Then at the domain registrar for revenflo.com, you would have to change the primary and secondary name servers from their domain management screen to be ns.revenflo.com and ns2.revenflo.com

Normally it's easier/faster to just do as I originally suggested since your ns/ns2.yocowo.com are already setup and propagated in the gtld servers for the revenflo.com domain.

Doing it as I originally suggested would clear up the dnsreport pretty much immediately.

Hi:

I think I finally got it.

I'm makeing the replacements you originally suggested and identified.

adding:
revenflo.com. NS ns1.yocowo.com.
revenflo.com. NS ns2.yocowo.com.

deleting:

Would I be correct that this now makes:

an unecessary record?

Really appreciate all the help.

bobp

Yes, unnecessary.

The dnsreport looks good now.

The Warnings about SOA serial number, can't do anything about that since Plesk still refuses to give us the option to use date coded serials. The warning about separate Class C IP's for the name servers can only be cured if you get another IP in a different Class C range.

[Edited: to correct a mis-statement by me]

Thanks, and last question, honest.

Could you expand a bit on Why we are all failing the Open Relay Test?

This server is set to require Authorization and other online tests and telnet tests that I've done indicate that it is not an open server...

Thank you.

bobp

I retract my earlier post. I was not paying attention to the actual IP that the test was showing as failed on the open relay test.

The Plesk server I tested was not the problem, a backup DNS server for that domain was....

My bad...

I don't think I'm clear on Relay issues in general, will have to do some reading up.

Would like to express my appreciation for your time and patience in responding to my problems.

Thank you.

bobp

Back