• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

451 Error: queue file write error (only when using postfix)

body_checks_size_limit = 51200
bounce_size_limit = 50000
header_size_limit = 102400
mailbox_size_limit = 51200000
message_size_limit = 10240000

I just wanted to make it known that I am receiving this error. Only with larger attachments. I am suprised that they have made no attempt to even mention fixing this problem.

Same issue here

Hi,

I've exactly the same issue here on 7 machines - all installed from scratch:

Debian 4.0 Etch AMD64-Bit, DELL R200
Plesk 9.0.1 with Postfix, Dr. Web, DNSBL, SpamAssassin, DomainKeys and SPF

Disabled Dr. Web and restaring Postfix did not solve the problem.

Additional information

This just happens if I try to send a mail larger than 3 megabytes – does not matter if it are single files or a big one.

I had to go back to QMail since it doesn't work. I've tried to research the error to find where the possible problem is, but, so far I don't see anything.

Fixed on Debian 4.0 x64

Guys,

Ive had this problem since upgrading from 8.6 to 9.0 and its had me foxed.
The problem is definately in the plesk mailhandler that is also doing the SPF.
The solution for me was to turn off SPF in the plesk interface. I dont have Dr Web or anything else turned on at all.
I implement postfix-gld and blocklists externally from plesk.

I am now seeing no broken pipe errors and a heap of emails have since turned up from queuing
mailservers that contain attachments with very large attachments (tests I was performing).

I will now resort to implementing SPF OUTSIDE of plesk control.

If anyone needs a copy of a particular config file just ask.

best of luck.

Mailman not working with Postfix is a pretty bad oversight, I'm glad I happen to not have any active Mailman lists at the moment.

I'm using Plesk 9.0.1 with Postfix and I turned off SPF and have reduced the problem down to merely having a few random "queue file write error" errors, but mail delivery is generally working and no particular specific emails (like large messages containing attachments) seem to be really failing.

Here's an example of an SMTP error report:
Code:
Subject: Postfix SMTP server: errors from unknown[123.234.188.113]
Message-Id: <20090209130937.2A20926EC389@servername>

Transcript of session follows.

Out: 220 servername ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)
 In:  HELO 123.234.188.113
 Out: 250 servername
 In:  MAIL FROM: <[email protected]>
 Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
 In:  RCPT TO: <customer@customerdomain>
 Out: 250 2.1.5 Ok
 In:  DATA
 Out: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
 Out: 451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error
 In:  QUIT
 Out: 221 2.0.0 Bye

I looked through the mail log and picked out all the logs lines related to this particular SMTP session and there's nothing interesting at all to look at. No indication of why Postfix would reply to the remote client with "451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error".

Has anyone resolved this or maybe a hotfix has been created?

I get a message about once a day with random accounts that once that message gets the error it emails me it every 10 mins

Transcript of session follows.

Out: 220 myserver.com ESMTP Postfix
In: EHLO logon.salesnexus.com
Out: 250-myserver.com
Out: 250-PIPELINING
Out: 250-SIZE 20480000
Out: 250-VRFY
Out: 250-ETRN
Out: 250-STARTTLS
Out: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
Out: 250-8BITMIME
Out: 250 DSN
In: MAIL FROM:<[email protected]> SIZE=183590
Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
In: RCPT TO:<[email protected]>
Out: 250 2.1.5 Ok
In: DATA
Out: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
Out: 451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error
In: QUIT
Out: 221 2.0.0 Bye

Turning off "SPF spam protection" got the email working for legitimate senders on my server. I did a test email with a 5MB attached file, and with SPF on I got the error every time. With SPF off, the same email was accepted. I did this about a dozen times for each. I do not have virus scanning. Everything else is default... Postfix, Debian 4, etc.

I'm still getting the occasional "queue file write error" emails from the system in regard to spam... but perhaps that behavior is normal since it's blocking junk.

Thanks for the hotfix. However, it didn't correct the problem for me.

Debian 4.0 / x86_64
Plesk 9.0.1

When I turn-on SPF, I still get the queue write error. With SPF off, it works fine. I'm testing this with an 11MB attachment. And the results are consistent.

Hello,

I also have this problems. It only happens sometimes.
Large files go trough without problem. It doesn't seem to be linked to attchment.

I'm on CentOS 5.2 server with Plesk 9.0.1 (no dr-web, no spf).
I updated postfix-queue with the hotfix, but it didn't help.

Thanks to find a solution!

Hi Sergius,

You forgot instructions to set the context for selinux!

chcon -t postfix_local_exec_t /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/postfix-queue

The files context was wrong, I got the correct context from the original file :)

Can you add this to the hotfix instructions in the KB

Same here. The hotfix did not solve the problem. I tried it on 7 machines (Debian 4.0, Linux 2.6.18-6-amd64 , Plesk 9.0.1). Actually 11 of our machines are affected by this annoying issue.

postfix-queue even this new version continues to randomly segfault on my Fedora 8 server. I am convinced it is this issue with only certain messages as only some segfault.

Would be nice for a fix. Especially I had a ticket for postfix mail issues and I can't reopen it :(

Any updates on that issue?
I'm using Centos 5 and applied the hotfix but it didn't fix the problem, I have everything off. SPF, Dr.Web and domain keys off.
Only spamassassin on.

Kindly advise.

Back