• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue 550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name.

stevland

Basic Pleskian
psa-qmail

CentOS Linux 7.7.1908 (Core)
Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.25 Update #2, last updated on April 1, 2020 10:05 PM

Many of my clients use Gmail accounts to manage their company email, as I do myself. We have Gmail configured to use our domain's SMTP server (not as an alias) to send emails.

Out of the blue as of this morning several users (including myself) intermittently receive the following error when sending emails through Gmail:

550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)

I have my users go into Gmail > Settings > Accounts and Import > Send Mail As, verify the settings and reenter the password.

Eventually, the 550 error reoccurs.

There don't seem to be any relevant entries in /var/log/maillog

If MX DNS records for affected domain pointing to the external mail server, for example:

# dig +short mx example.com
10 spamfilter.example.com
# dig +short spamfilter.example.com

Plesk is not controlling these mail servers. And no information about the issue can be found in mail logs in 203.0.113.2 server. In order to use the mailbox, it should be created on the specified Mail Server. As well as this mail server (spamfilter.example.com) should have the correct PTR record. So, it may be temporary Gmail issue, I think.

psa-qmail

CentOS Linux 7.7.1908 (Core)
Plesk Obsidian
Version 18.0.25 Update #2, last updated on April 1, 2020 10:05 PM

Many of my clients use Gmail accounts to manage their company email, as I do myself. We have Gmail configured to use our domain's SMTP server (not as an alias) to send emails.

Out of the blue as of this morning several users (including myself) intermittently receive the following error when sending emails through Gmail:

550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)

I have my users go into Gmail > Settings > Accounts and Import > Send Mail As, verify the settings and reenter the password.

Eventually, the 550 error reoccurs.

There don't seem to be any relevant entries in /var/log/maillog
Is you are using external mail service, you had to disable the mail service of this domain in plesk > suscripcion > mail > Configuration > disable, in other case, plesk try to deliver in local if mail are send by other mail local account. I don't know if it's your issue, but you can review it.

The problem persists, but the error is sometimes different.

This part of the bounce is always the same:

Message not delivered
You're sending this from a different address or alias using the 'Send mail as' feature. The settings for your 'Send mail as' account are misconfigured or out of date. Check those settings and try resending.

But the actual error will alternate:

The response was:
550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)​

OR

The response was:
TLS Negotiation failed, the certificate doesn't match the host.​

Also, my personal Gmail account is configured to check email from one of my CentOS/Plesk/qmail accounts using POP3.

I don't know if this is related, or not, but it started happening around the same time.

I keep getting the following error intermittently within Gmail:

Authentication error.
Server returned error "Login failed."

I have 4 such errors since midnight this morning.

But at other times Gmail connects to the server and downloads messages successfully.

I still run into this issue from time-to-time, and I see that after all of these months no one else has piped in to report the same issue.

I am looking at my setup and wondering if I did something wrong at some point.

In addition to the domain that I use as my hostname mytld.ca, I also have mail.mytld.ca set up as a subdomain, which is using its own Let's Encrypt cert.

Is this the way Plesk works by default, or did I manually set this up at some point for reasons that I cannot now recall?

Is it possible that this is the reason that Gmail occasionally reports "550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)"?

The "550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name" leaves no room for interpretation. It means that on the recipient's end the mailbox does not exist. So either it does not exist or the recipient server is the wrong server to process emails for that domain. Neither Gmail has anything to do with that, nor an SSL/TLS configuration. There is also no Plesk technical issue here other than that the recipient's domain might be configured on the sending host where it should no be.

Please check where the emails are being sent to exactly and that the receiver's domain is not listed under "Domains" in the server that your GMail account is using as SMTP server. If you send an email to an external address, but for some reason someone has configured the receiving domain on the sender server, that email will not leave the sender server and normally won't find the appropriate mailboxes for mail reception there.

Also make sure that you do not have multiple MX records for the same SMTP server and that you do not have any round robin type multiple A record configuration in the DNS of the server name that you are using to send mails from AND in the server you send mails to. Else mails will randomly be processed by different servers.

The "550 sorry, no mailbox here by that name" leaves no room for interpretation. It means that on the recipient's end the mailbox does not exist. So either it does not exist or the recipient server is the wrong server to process emails for that domain. Neither Gmail has anything to do with that, nor an SSL/TLS configuration. There is also no Plesk technical issue here other than that the recipient's domain might be configured on the sending host where it should no be.

Please check where the emails are being sent to exactly and that the receiver's domain is not listed under "Domains" in the server that your GMail account is using as SMTP server. If you send an email to an external address, but for some reason someone has configured the receiving domain on the sender server, that email will not leave the sender server and normally won't find the appropriate mailboxes for mail reception there.

Also make sure that you do not have multiple MX records for the same SMTP server and that you do not have any round robin type multiple A record configuration in the DNS of the server name that you are using to send mails from AND in the server you send mails to. Else mails will randomly be processed by different servers.

It totally makes sense to me now.

The domain I am trying to send mail to is one that I am currently migrating to my server. So yes, I have that domain preemptively set up in Plesk. But we haven't switched the nameservers over. *facepalm*

Thank you for the very quick reply.

Back