• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved 554 invalid DNS PTR resource record

maniot

New Pleskian
I recently setup a server for a webshop with prestashop. The problem i have i cannot send email from the server, when i look into /var/spool/mail i see a lot of error like this:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<[email protected]>
(reason: 554-kundenserver.de (mxeue006) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mx01.1and1.fr.:
<<< 554-kundenserver.de (mxeue103) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available
<<< 554-No SMTP service
<<< 554 invalid DNS PTR resource record, IP=217.160.2.150
... while talking to mx00.1and1.fr.:
<<< 554-kundenserver.de (mxeue006) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available
<<< 554-No SMTP service
<<< 554 invalid DNS PTR resource record, IP=217.160.2.150
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I'm using the dns server of my hosting provider.
As i have no clue as where to change things to resolve the error i'm asking if someone would give me a clue.

Regards,
maniot

It is the responsibility of your hosting provider to set up a PTR record for IP addresses it assign to you.

Your IP seems to be in a range assigned to 1&1 Internet AG:
inetnum: 217.160.2.0 - 217.160.2.255
netname: SCHLUND-CUSTOMERS
descr: 1&1 Internet AG
admin-c: IPAD-RIPE
tech-c: IPOP-RIPE
remarks: INFRA-AW
remarks: in case of abuse or spam, please mailto: [email protected]
mnt-by: AS8560-MNT
created: 2015-09-14T12:43:21Z
last-modified: 2015-09-14T12:43:21Z
source: RIPE # Filtered

You must ask them to set it up. In case you're hosting several domains from the same IP address, my advice is to ask them to set it up as a PTR to an host inside a domain you own (e.g. myhost01.mydomain.net).

Some hosting provider do not create PTR records pointing to customers domains, but in any case, and as a bare minimum, they should have a PTR pointing to an host name inside one of their domains (e.g.: customer-xyz.1and1.com, or 217-160-2-150.1and1.com)

Yeap, @Lloyd_mcse, that seems to be the case for 1&1 and best answer for this case!

Others may do different things as well, like e.g. on DigitalOcean, where I have my VPSs, and the PTR is automatically attributed when you set your VPS hostname.

Thanks a lot Lloyd_mcse and Sergio, problem solved. Indeed it is possible to add the PTR record with 1&1. With my other vps's it was attributed automatically.

best regards,

Maniot

Back