• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

7.5.3 -> 7.5.4 Upgrade Instructions???

J

jonathanw

Is it safe to just let the updater service in plesk 7.5.3 do the upgrade? or is there another safer way. Plesk is SO touchy and I am upgrading a production server..

Kinda nervous. Has anyone done this upgrade through the upgrade service in 7.5.3???

THanks in advance
J.

If you read through the forums over the last 2 weeks, you will see some had no problems, while others had various problems. There is always an inherent risk when updating or upgrading any software. Always make sure you have a full backup or two before attempting any update/upgrade.

As with any contracted service, whether it's SWSoft, 4PSA, or any other company, make sure you have a contract which covers not just installing the upgrade, but also collateral breakage.

Personally I make a clone image of the production server's hard drive and put it into a separate PC, then do the upgrade/update on that one to see what all problems to expect when doing it on the real production server.

You may have to pay a fee for the DataCenter visit, but IMHO it is well worth it.

Well after considerable indigestion, I took the plunge. I made the appropriate backups, (3000 miles to the datacenter, so an onsite visit was not an option).

I must say, that my installation was about as vanilla as they come (out of the box fedora core2, and plain jane Plesk with no options/upgrades, and un-touched MySQL that shipped with plesk)

I did the upgrade through the update manager in plesk. (I admit that I hovered over the 'are you sure' button for more than a few moments)

The upgrade took about 2 minuites to complete, and went off without a hitch. I then updated everything else that needed updating which also went without a hitch.

My compliments (and thanks) to the Plesk Dev team, although my environment presented little in the way of challenges, but none the less, the upgrade went as smoothly as anything could.

Thanks to all who responded with advice and comments.
J.

out of the box fedora core2, and plain jane Plesk with no options/upgrades, and un-touched MySQL that shipped with plesk
That certainly makes upgrading easy! Glad to hear it went smoothly.

3000 miles? That sounds like a perfect reason for a business paid vacation to me!! LOL

Back