• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

A DNS setup Question about (GLUE)

N

nhouse

I made a change in my DNS configuration due to a technical issue with a SSL certificate and that made me redesign my DBS setup a bit. Basically I had to take the shared domains off of xxx.xxx.xxx.20 to allow it to use the Cert and take my previously dedicated NS1 IP address of xxx.xxx.xxx.25 and use it to share my domains. I don't think it is a problem to do this, as far as sharing a NS record IP... but since I did this, checks at DNS Report are reporting an oddity that only seems to effect domains using .ORG By the way, I have three IP addresses. I originally intended to have the nameservers with dedicated IPs and share the other for the domains.

Look at these two reports to see what I mean:
theaverageamerican.net
chapelhilllife.net

The report of the .NET domain looks normal but the report on the .ORG shows an odd look return indicator for the nameservers. It says WARNING. The parent servers (I checked with tld6.ultradns.co.uk.) are not providing glue for all your nameservers. This means that they are supplying the NS records (host.example.com), but not supplying the A records (192.0.2.53), which can cause slightly slower connections, and may cause incompatibilities with some non-RFC-compliant programs. Is this a problem that I should be concerned about? Why does it just show up in the .ORG type? Please share your insight... thanks!!!

The 'No Glue' warning is nothing really to worry about. I have seen this on many .ORG sites (hosted elsewhere, hosted on my servers, and where only the MX is on mine, all else is on some other host).

It has never really affected access to any of the .ORGs I've managed or even those I haven't.

Try running random reports on various .ORGs out there, if you find many which don't report the same No Glue I would be surprised. (presbytery.org, xyz.org, johnhenry.org, etc) Yes, xyz.org exists!

This didn't used to happen until ultradns.co.uk took over the .org's (at least I never noticed it before they took over the .org's) :)

Thanks for the info. I had never really noticed this until now. I thought that I had checked them before I made this IP change... but maybe not.

Well, I checked openoffice.org and theirs has not glue either... so I don't feel so bad now :D

Thanks again for your input James... I appreciate it. Man, I still have a lot to learn about DNS stuff...<G>

As humans, we all still have a lot to learn (in general) :D

No problem, at least you are asking good questions and giving good info on your posts, which is something which is always welcome to those of us who (for whatever reason) keep visiting these forums to help out.

When we see posts like 'Got problem, how fix it?' with no details, it gets rather irritating. You are like a breath of fresh air!!!

Thank you very much... I appreciate the input here. Many forums that I have used in the past are either a safe haven for flamers or simply unresponsive... so this is also a "breath of fresh air" for me.

Blessings!
:)

Back