• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved A record doesn't seem to populate

BNB

New Pleskian
Hi

We have just installed a new server with the following DNS entries

However, even though the DNS are pointing fine to the server, the site does not open. When I go to intodns.com it simply shows that it can not find any A record? However I double-checked and the A record is there indeed!

The steps I did:
1) Configure the child name servers on our registrar to the server's IP such as: ns1.domain.com > 10.10.10.10 and the same for ns2
2) Point the name servers on the registrar to the ones created above as child name servers.
3) added the ns1.domain.com and ns2 to the DNS zone in Plesk (as NS records) and pointed them to the right IPs as A records

I hope the screenshot above (even though it is masked) can give an idea that I am 99% sure that everything is perfectly configured.

What am I missing? Even though I have a vast experience in DNS records, I am clueless since it is the first time I am using Plesk.

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Hi BNB,

We have just installed
Pls. be informed, that DNS - changes MAY take up to 48 hours ( it should be shorter, but depends as well on the settings from your domain registrar ), untill they synced worldwide.

If you still experience issues/errors/problems here, pls. consider to step out of anonymity and provide the FQDN for further investigations.

Thank you UFHH01

So, I have my problem solved now! Apparently the ports were being blocked in the server. Our host replied us the following:
So maybe you need to run the following commands via SSH on your server:
------------------->%-------------------
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng --disable
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng --enable
------------------->%-------------------

Once this was done, it all started working fine! Did we change anything on Plesk (because we never logged in through SSH before) that could cause this?

Many thanks.

Hi BNB,

Did we change anything on Plesk (because we never logged in through SSH before) that could cause this?
Pls. don't MIX possible issues/errors/problems, because this will not help you to find root causes for any of your issues/errors/problems.

The standart setting for the Plesk - NGINX is a disabled state.

Some commands can't be done over the Plesk Control Panel, so pls. consider to inform yourself about possible commands over the command line at for example: => Command Line Utilities Overview

Hmmm, I don't understand how am I possibly mixing issues/errors/problems.
I had a problem: my A record was giving an error in intodns.com and it seems this was caused by not having any webserver running on my server. How was I suppose to know this? Our hosting provider spotted it and gave us the solution.
I am just trying to understand what could be done wrong in Plesk Control Panel for this to happen and how could I spot this without having to contact anyone at first place (not my hosting provider, not Plesk support).

Thank you as well for the Command Line Utilities Overview as they might be useful in the future. However, they seem irrelevant for this specific case.

Hi BNB,

Hmmm, I don't understand how am I possibly mixing issues/errors/problems.
Pls. let me point you to your mixings:

However, even though the DNS are pointing fine to the server
DNS - settings
the site does not open.
webserver - settings / possible issue can be a non - configured firewall​

When I go to intodns.com it simply shows that it can not find any A record? However I double-checked and the A record is there indeed!
You are now back to DNS - settings and possible issues/errors/problems.

=> You received an answer for possible DNS - root causes, but your next answer points to the fact, that the whole issue/error/problem is not your DNS, but a non-configured Plesk - NGINX webserver.​

my A record was giving an error in intodns.com and it seems this was caused by not having any webserver running on my server.
Sorry, but your conclusion here is misleading and incorrect.
A non-working webserver on your server will not result in false or missing entries for your domains at your nameserver(s). This could just lead to not being able to open the desired URL for your corresponding domain with a browser for example.

I am just trying to understand what could be done wrong in Plesk Control Panel for this to happen and how could I spot this without having to contact anyone at first place (not my hosting provider, not Plesk support).
Log - files will help you to investigate your issues/errors/problems.

Thank you as well for the Command Line Utilities Overview as they might be useful in the future. However, they seem irrelevant for this specific case.
Sorry again, but the command for the Plesk utilities are documented at the mentioned documentation, which you might proove by yourself by visiting: => Plesk Utility

I don't understand why so much wording just because I tried to explain my problem from A-Z, even if I mixed issues, what is wrong with that?
I did mention the DNS because they could be related. They weren't. I didn't know at the time or else I would go straight to the point and avoid the DNS discussion from the beginning.

My conclusion is right, but my initial thoughts weren't. Again, I was just speculating and giving all data I had to seek help from the forum.
In short, the interpretation and conclusion that was given correctly from my hosting provider was:
  1. The A record is available
  2. what we get if we connect to your server using the given url is that there is no webserver running on your server: Failed to connect to www.domain.com port 80: Connection refused
  3. Also a port scan shows that there is now webserver running except the plesk control panel
  4. So maybe you need to run the following commands via SSH on your server:
    /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng --disable
    /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng --enable
Nevertheless... this issue is solved and it might help other users (which is what matters here).
Thank you again for your time.

Back