• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved About using Let's Encrypt outside Plesk

Zoo3

Regular Pleskian
I have software that I want to use by all means, it is very difficult if it is within Plesk. Certificates seem to cause problems. I do not have any problem with HTTP connection.

So I'm trying to edit nginx.conf etc. directly and work outside of Plesk. I gave the software root privileges and I was able to use the Let's Encrypt certificate that I use with Plesk. I was able to work the software with this. I am concerned about root authority. And when Let's Encrypt's certificate is updated, I do not know how it will be affected.

I attempted to install the standalone version of Let's Encrypt, but I could not install due to DNS problems. Even if I can do it, I am concerned about the conflict between Plesk's Let's Encrypt and the stand-alone version of Let's Encrypt.

1. Is it dangerous to work with root privileges?
  2. What is the problem that I encounter when using Plesk's Let's Encrypt from outside Plesk?
  3. Is there a way to use Plesk's Let's encrypt with user privileges instead of Root privileges?
  4. Is it possible to install Let's Encrypt outside Plesk?
Best Regards,

Last edited:
What I tried.
  1. Install certificate of aaa.sample.com by Let's encrypt at Plesk.
  2. SSL/TLS and 301 redirect are enabled in the hosting setting.
  3. Write the necessary elements in nginx.conf. It is not an additional directive field of Plesk.
In this way, it is not "aaa.sample.com" but a "sample.com" certificate, "aaa.sample.com" does not seem to be proven.
So I looked up the Plesk Let's encrypt certificate file location path and write it directly in nginx.conf. This is the reason for saying "outside" of Plesk. I have specified the certificate created by Plesk directly with nginx.conf. It seems that root authority is essential in this way.

I was able to solve it self. If I enabled local DNS in Plesk UI's DNS settings, I could use SSL specified by Plesk without directly writing certificate information in nginx.conf. Of course, root privilege could be removed and I was able to work with user authority.

Back