• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Access Log changes in v. 12.5?

JeffreyZ

Basic Pleskian
I upgraded to Plesk 12.5 in June and my July access logs for client domains were mostly 30%-50% smaller with 30%-50% less traffic as well. Clients I have on a cPanel server didn't show any drop in traffic.

Which makes me wonder if something changed in how access log files are created in Plesk 12.5 vs. earlier versions, or if the 12.5 upgrade could have overwritten some custom settings for access logs?

August access logs also 30% - 50% lower using Plesk 12.5 vs 12. Something had to have changed in how log files are compiled (i.e. new logs might show more search spiders than old logs, changing "unique visitor" numbers). Any way to see what -- if any -- changes occurred in log file creation between 12 and 12.5?

I checked the change log for Plesk 12.5. Seems some log file changes were made but none that should impact traffic reporting:

• Users can view web server logs in Plesk
  • Website owners could not view real IPv6 addresses of website visitors in access_log files.

Last edited:
Hi JeffreyZ,

Which makes me wonder if something changed in how access log files are created in Plesk 12.5 vs. earlier versions, or if the 12.5 upgrade could have overwritten some custom settings for access logs?
The access/error - logs are NOT created by Plesk software or it's components... they are created by apache or nginx and they depend on your webserver configuration ( log - level ). Consider to raise the log - level, if you would like more output in your logs.

Traffic for domains is nothing, that Plesk software controls - maybe you activated several jails at Fail2Ban, which could result in banning spam - IPs?!?

• Users can view web server logs in Plesk
  • Website owners could not view real IPv6 addresses of website visitors in access_log files.
Both updates don't depend on traffic at your domains. The first change just makes sure, that "users" have the rights to VIEW the logs over the Plesk Control Panel; the second update just makes sure, that the REAL IP is being logged, instead of the proxy IP.

Danke UFHH01. That's very helpful. I'll have a look at Fail2Ban. 8 jails currently.

I see that the Webalyzer report for affected domains shows zero files for the month. Other domains show a number for files.

webalyzer-files-zero.png

Last edited:
The problem, in part, was that I was generating my traffic reports using the access_log_processed not access_ssl_log_processed on accounts I had recently moved to SSL. The access_log_processed had a lot of hits from bots apparently and so looked like a normal traffic report.

Back