• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Activate spam protection based on DNS black lists

boutiquepcland

New Pleskian
hello,

I want to enable spam protection based on DNS blacklists in Mail Settings for the whole server

where to have a blacklisted dns list?

I found this but I don't know if it's good!

dns black.txt

Below are some of the lists that I use on my servers...
Some of them require registration and some other settings (e.g. you need to list your server-ip)
or have limitations (e.g. the max number of requests per hour/day/month)
  • noptr.spamrats.com;
  • dyna.spamrats.com;
  • spam.spamrats.com;
  • b.barracudacentral.org;
  • dnsrbl.org;
  • dnsbl.inps.de;
  • ix.dnsbl.manitu.net;
  • psbl.surriel.com;
  • bl.spamcop.net;
  • zen.spamhaus.org;
  • spamsources.fabel.dk
You could research a bit for BL or DNSBL and you can find what suits you best...

Edit / addition:
I also reviewed the list that you sent... well... I would not bother just copying the list.
There are a couple of lists inside that I also have listed above - without the information about "having to register".

Again, the web is full of information about DNSBL and so on, you will find you way - go for quality over quantity.

The essential lists are these:
sbl.spamhaus.org
xbl.spamhaus.org
b.barracudacentral.org
bl.spamcop.net

Normally you won't need any others. Using zen.spamhaus.org will lead to a lot of false positives. By experience I can also say that the ct's list ix.dnsbl.manitu.net has malfunctioned frequently. Spamhaus is a reliable source, so is barracudacentral.org. Spamcop is listing a lot of spammers, but does not exclude the ones listed on dsnwl.org, so this will block a lot of legitimate email, too.

Hello, thank you for your answers, I just paste the following list?

sbl.spamhaus.org; xbl.spamhaus.org; b.barracudacentral.org; bl.spamcop.net

Is this list still the essentials?

sbl.spamhaus.org
xbl.spamhaus.org
b.barracudacentral.org
bl.spamcop.net

Hi,

any idea why spamcop is not considered essential anymore? I've been using it and have no problems so far, but don't know if it's wise to keep using it.

As for spamhaus, I've been using zen.spamhaus.org instead of sbl.spamhaus.org and xbl.spamhaus.org. Should I change that?

Thanks in advance.

zen.spamhaus.org includes IPs known to phish or otherwise misbehave in addition to spammer URLs. This blocks many IPs of shared hosting providers although no spam is being sent from there. For that reason it may not be the best of choices to use zen.spamhaus.org.

The list above is unofficial. I think Spamcop once had an accessibility issue and reported all requests as "spammer", for that reason it was assessed unreliable. But if you made a difference experience, it might as well be a good choice. It was in the past.

Reactions: JVG
bb.barracudacentral.org (with two B) is recommended for spamasssassin users what plesk uses. zen.spamhaus.org contains several lists of spamhaus itself. It contains also xbl.spamhaus.org but I do not recommend them. The block barclay card servers so a customer does not receive barclay card payment emails. Yes, in a way this is good as I would never activate such a feature that over unencrypted email the payed quantity on which place so no state-hacker may read this that easily but I am not this person and this person wants this. As xbl could potentially avoid contact from barclay for other important things and surely other legitim server are blocked with xbl, therefore I do not recommend using this. sbl is more conservative but works and does not block some legitim servers I know.

With bl.spamcop.net I did not have problems (experience since last years).

These are the servers which work good for me (take care, activate local dns caching for uribl and so on - how if manual of current plesk does not work, I wrote in another thread you can find in the list when opening my profile ... direct link: make entry in resolv.conf for local dns server permanent): bb.barracudacentral.org;sbl.spamhaus.org;bl.spamcop.net;bl.spameatingmonkey.net;ix.dnsbl.manitu.net;psbl.surriel.com;noptr.spamrats.com;auth.spamrats.com;recent.spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net;badconf.rhsbl.sorbs.net;drone.abuse.ch

Can any or several servers be recommended and are not too dangerous for overblocking on something like that?

- dnsbl.cobion.com
- dnsbl.dronebl.org
- ubl.unsubscore.com
- virus.rbl.jp
- z.mailspike.net
- bl.mailspike.net
- hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com
- all.spam-rbl.fr

Back