• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

ADD php 5.3

i am afraid plesk 9 and 10 do not support PHP 5.3.

for some reason, mysql user passwords created by plesk use the old format while php 5.3 mysql extension only supports new long passwords.. it is not clear why plesk works like that, but that is a fact for plesk 9.5.x (not sure for plesk 10). this configuration is hardcoded into plesk files, and there is no way, apparently, to change it. it just make old passwords, even if you change mysql config settings to stop using old passwords.

so it is impossible to fully use plesk and php 5.3 together.

i guess that the only way to use php 5.3 with plesk is to STOP managing mysql databases from the plesk panel: you should only manage databases through command line or another tool (phpmyadmin) and make sure mysql is using long passwords by default. this is possible.. but you lose a functionality of plesk..

this is pretty annoying and it is a BUG, but they do not seem to be too much worried about it (at least not for plesk 9.5 which i use).

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the response. Well this is the reason why I do not want to disturb the standard php installed with Plesk and just wanted to add php 5.3 which shows up in server components and can be used by customers for development. Is there any way to adding a component in Plesk because one of my customers is really requesting PHP 5.3 ?

If you go into C > Program Files > Parallels > Plesk > Additional > PleskPHP5 that contains the PHP used for domains. You can manually upgrade this to PHP 5.3.8 like I did in Plesk 10.3.1. I downloaded the .zip of PHP for Windows, made a copy of the original PleskPHP5 as orig_PleskPHP5 and then made a new PleskPHP5 folder with the new PHP. Then copy the php.ini from the orig_PleskPHP5 folder and click refresh under server components and wha la!

Back