• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Adding IPv6 address does not work (error message)

King555

Regular Pleskian
I cannot add an IPv6 address to Plesk. I always get the following error message:

Execution failed. Command: ifmng Arguments: Array ( [0] => --add [1] => eth0 [2] => xxxx:xxx:x:x::xxx:xxx [3] => 64 ) Details: Empty error message from utility.

What can I do? IPv4 addresses could be added without any problems.

I tried it several times. I tried it with a subnet mask and without. I always get this error. Is Plesk not IPv6 compatible?

Meanwhile (after several updates) I get a slightly different error message:

Error: SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied /sbin/ifconfig eth0 add ****:***:1:1::***:***/64 exited with non-zero status 1
(IP was replaced by "*")

So it's still not working. Any ideas?

Have you tried add this IP address on OS level and then re-read IPs in Plesk interface?
Do you have any related errors in /var/log/sw-cp-server/error_log ?

If you mean I should run the command in the console - yes, I did that. I get exactly the same error message, although I'm root.

Edit: Latest error log is from the 16th of June - a little bit old...

Last edited:
Are you sure that you have root privileges? Have you tried to use sudo or su before command?

I think my problem can only be solved by a complete reinstall of the operating system (which I do not within the next year). So I will cancel my IPv6 plans and stay with IPv4.

If someone has a solution for me I'm still interested.

Now it works!

I've done the following:

In the file "/etc/sysctl.conf" I deleted the following line:
Code:
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

Then I added these lines:
Code:
net.ipv6.conf.all.autoconf=0
net.ipv6.conf.all.accept_ra=0
net.ipv6.conf.default.autoconf=0
net.ipv6.conf.default.accept_ra=0

My provider said that these four parameters disable autoconfiguration, which is not used.

After that a "sysctl -p" did not work, I had to reboot the complete server!

Afterwards I added the IP via:

ip addr add <IPv6 address>/<Subnet> dev eth0
ip route add default via <Gateway address> dev eth0

But this did not create an entry in "/etc/network/interfaces". I guess the IP was only created temporarily.

Now I could make an entry like

Code:
iface eth0:4 inet static
        address [...]
        netmask 64
        gateway [...]
auto eth0:4

but the file says:

Code:
# auto-generated system-config
# part of KDCTRL-NOC and FADC

"Who" generated this file? Plesk? Can I still edit this file manually?

Now I just did it and made the following addition to the file "/etc/network/interfaces":

Code:
iface eth0:4 inet6 static
        address [...]
        netmask 64
        gateway [...]
auto eth0:4

Afterwards I rebooted the server and IPv6 works - permanently, I guess. After reloading the IP in Plesk I got a warning message (not correctly configured IP), but there was a repair link. I think it was because I entered the IP in a different way before (ip addr add ...). Plesk did not make any changes in the interfaces file.

Finally this topic is now solved! :)

Thanks for all replies!

Back