• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Additional options for sending backups rather than FTP?

Nonapeptide

New Pleskian
I have Plesk 10.3.1 on CentOS 5. I'm trying to manage backups using Server Management >> Tools & Utilities >> Backup Manager.

I'm trying to get backups off the server as soon as they're done. I'm appalled that FTP is the only protocol offered as an off-server repository. I can't risk the plaintext nature of FTP's authentication or data stream, so I'm looking at alternatives.

Is there a plugin or module of some kind that makes the Backup Manager offer SCP or SFTP as a remote repository?

I suppose the only other option would be to make a VPN connection to the remote repository before using FTP.

So far it's looking like I've got three options:

1) Use a third party tool like 4PSA's Total Backup
Pros: Incremental backups and can backup to a remote host over SSH.
Cons: Added cost. Added vendor in the mix.

2) Mount a remote filesystem using SSHFS and backup to that with pleskbackup.
Pros: It's secure and simple. Plesk gets to backup like it prefers which makes restoration easier.
Cons: I'm backing up the entire server every time, which is multiple gigabytes. That eats up my monthly bandwidth.

3) Forgo Plesk's own backup tool and use rsync over SSH
Pros: I can make incremental backups and conserve bandwidth.
Cons: Restoration is now complicated since Plesk isn't involved.

I'll probably give #2 a try, but if bandwidth becomes an issue, I might have to go with #1. #3 seems to be just plain silly.

Is there any other third party tools that can be used for secure ftp backup ?

What's not right about the 4PSA product? Without knowing what you're not satisfied with it's hard to make a recommendation. 4PSA says their backups are secure but it doesn't say how. SFTP is a component of the SSH service provided by sshd, so if you have an SSH connection to another PC you can connect via SFTP and move the backup to that server.

What's not right about the 4PSA product? Without knowing what you're not satisfied with it's hard to make a recommendation. 4PSA says their backups are secure but it doesn't say how. SFTP is a component of the SSH service provided by sshd, so if you have an SSH connection to another PC you can connect via SFTP and move the backup to that server.

I understand what you mean... well I don't think there is something wrong with this solution and I may give it a try later. I was just wondering if there was existing cheaper solutions. I host crm applications and it's important for me to have daily backup. I may simply create a script to backup databases via sftp as well ... But just curious about the different alternatives available to us.

Thanks

Back