• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Advice on upgrading to 10.x

N

NicoH

My upgrade from Plesk 8 to 9 was an absolute nightmare. Is it wise to upgrade from Plesk 9 to plesk 10?
What are your recommendations? Are there still a lot of bugs? How about the improvements?

Improvements are great! Plesk 10 is a major step in Plesk developement.
Till now there are lots of bugs you can find in this forum. we have not seen any bugfix release till now.

But Parallels say 10.1 is coming very soon. so i recommend to wait for this release.
If you wanna test it setup a second server with 14day trial and migrate all your customers with migration manager and test it!

Strongly suggest you DO NOT upgrade to 10.x until they fix the many and very serious bugs and glaring shortcomings of the new panel. It has been a nightmare for my business and still is. And I am not alone. Read the posts all over here. I wish I hadn't done it and would go back to 9 if it were at all possible, which, unfortunately, it isn't. You think 8 to 9 was bad? That was a party compared to this.

think we have to be fair to parallels...
yes: plesk10.0.1 has bugs and its frustrating that there is no update over 2 month after release and parallels just say: no ETA. thats not the best customer care.

but: many people are frustrated about things changed in plesk10. not all of this things are bugs some things are just handled another way they have been handled before. many people here are frustrated about that. they press update button without testing plesk10 or read the manual with the new things. after the update they scream about things changed and not working the way they do before. i dont understand that. plesk9 is supported till now no one says "update now".

so i wanna say: TEST IT BEFORE UPDATE AND READ ABOUT CHANGES. there is a free trial you can test 14 days. decide if you wanna use it now or later or stay with plesk9 for a time.

in my oppinion there are a few very very useful new things in plesk10 and i like it BUT i stay with plesk 9 on my productive servers till there is an update fixing most of the known bugs...

Wow, If you run a business, this upgrade will shut your hosting business down for hours and hours, totally randomly, day or night....

Absolutely, 100% DO NOT UPGRADE.

The only option I have now is to dump my data manually, and reimage my server with plesk 9 (Maybe even cPanel) and then manually recreate my settings....

Its hours of manual work!

Thanks Parallels!

have you read my post about testing ? if you are a seriouse hosting provider i cant understand why you are pressing an update button without testing the product...

i can understand you are frustrated there are anoying bugs in plesk10 but what you are doing here is just flaming around. post your problems with a detailed error description in the bugs section and people will try to help you...

I will say I was frustrated going from 9.5.3 to 10.0.1, even after testing, reading, and using before I moved my clients over. I did not do a straight upgrade on the same machine because through reading and testing I discovered the vast differences between the two versions. I wanted to add the billing system because my previous provider would not allow or support it, so I set up 10.0.1 on a brand new server while my current clients stayed on the old 9.5.3 server. I slowly added clients to the new panel/business manager before moving their data over. I didn't have the luxury of using the migration tool as my provider did not actually give full root access. The new 10.0.1 server is with a new cloud based provider where I have complete root access.

I made and downloaded backup files of each domain and transferred them to the new panel in small groups. I later found that the pre10-backup-convert script was not documented very well, which was the main source of my frustration. 2nd-line support was able to help me by coming up with specific routines to correctly convert and restore domain settings, content and databases for each client. I believe they will be posting a KB article soon which detailes the process. It wasn't easy or a walk in the park, but it is stable now and I have a fully converted client base using Business Manager on the new server. In the end, I think it will be worth all the trouble.

Back