Issue All Domains Apache2/Error 500

LTUser

Regular Pleskian
Files (.pdf, .ico ...) can be loaded, only index.php and so on cannot be loaded / displayed.

Internal Server Error​

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

error.log:
AH10292: Invalid proxy UDS filename (proxy:unix:///var/www/vhosts/system/my-forum.net/php-fpm.sock|fcgi://127.0.0.1:9000/var/www/vhosts/my-forum.net/httpdocs/index.php)

Who can give me some tips / help?

I just updated run apt upgrade and am facing the same error now. The sock file does exist. I do not how to solve this. Plesk's repair command did not work. Do you have any idea?

I just updated run apt upgrade and am facing the same error now. The sock file does exist. I do not how to solve this. Plesk's repair command did not work. Do you have any idea?
My solution was that I renamed the new version (2.4.49) of Apache (/usr/sbin/apache2) and its modules (/usr/lib/apache2/modules) and then copied the last version back from a backup.

I removed the ondrej apache repo, removed apache2 and everything that belongs to it and installed version 2.4.41 (I think) from Ubuntu's repo. After this I had to restore my configuration from a plesk backup. Nearly gave me a heart attack.

I've been having a heart attack too from this same problem. Starting getting 500 errors on all websites, for no apparent reason, after issuing some package updates. I believe Apache was one of the packages that got updated, and I also use Ondrej Sury's PPA. There aren't any relevant error messages in `/var/log/syslog`, in `/var/apache2/error.log`, or in `/var/nginx/error.log`. All services are up and running correctly without any apparent errors. Turning error reporting on in PHP doesn't do a thing. But still getting 500 errors on all websites.

Checking the specific logs for the single websites I'm also seeing the same kind of errors, and lots of them for each domain:

AH10292: Invalid proxy UDS filename (proxy:unix:///var/www/vhosts/system/mydomain.com/php-fpm.sock|fcgi://127.0.0.1:9000/var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/httpdocs/wp-login.php)

I believe I will have to purge apache2, remove Ondrej Sury's PPA, and reinstall apache2. Not fun.

I reported the issue as requested at Apache 2.4.49 not working correctly with php-fpm socket · Issue #1643 · oerdnj/deb.sury.org .

Here are some steps I took to get everything working again, without losing my configuration files, and there was probably a cleaner way but it was kind of a trial and error thing, at least everything seems to be working again:

Bash:
sudo service apache2 stop
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:ondrej/apache2
sudo dpkg -r --force-depends apache2
sudo apt install apache2
sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo dpkg -r --force-depends apache2-bin
sudo dpkg -r --force-depends apache2-data
sudo dpkg -r --force-depends apache2-utils
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo apt install apache2
sudo apt install apache2-bin
sudo apt install apache2-data
sudo apt install apache2-utils
sudo apt autoremove
sudo apachectl -M
sudo apt install libapache2-mod-aclr2-psa
sudo apt install libapache2-mod-fcgid-psa
sudo apachectl -M
sudo plesk bin repair --restore-vhosts-permissions
sudo plesk bin repair --update-vhosts-structure
sudo plesk repair web
sudo service apache2 start
sudo service apache2 status
sudo service nginx restart
sudo service nginx status
sudo service php8.0-fpm restart
sudo service php8.0-fpm status
sudo service php7.4-fpm restart
sudo service php7.4-fpm status

After reporting the issue on Ondřej Surý 's repo, he requested that the issue be reported upstream to Apache. So I wrote on the Apache mailing list explaining the situation, and received this answer:

I guess that it is fixed by r1893519 (trunk) [1]
This has been backported in r1893559 (2.4.x) [2] and will be part of 2.4.50.
I guess we'll just have to wait for Apache 2.4.50 to be released and packed by Ondrej.

FYI, still urgent. Rollback of folders /usr/lib/apache2 and the binary /usr/sbin/apache2 is a simple workaround for Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 LTS. We have ~ 30 Servers with the issue.

A pretty important update: after I removed the ondrej repo and rolled back to 2.4.41 I got the next apache2 update today.
Just FYI: my server is running Plesk Obsidian 18.0.38 Update #2 on Ubuntu 20.04.3 (everything is up-to-date from the Ubuntu repos), I use Apache2 as web-server and nginx as reverse proxy. I can add more details, if anyone need them.

DO NOT UPDATE TO apache2 2.4.41-4ubuntu3.5 or higher at the moment

I thought the error only affected version 2.4.49 from the ondrej repo. Today my Ubuntu prompted me to update apache2 from 2.4.41-4ubuntu3.4 to 2.4.41-4ubuntu3.5. I thought it was no big deal but the exact same errors occured as with 2.4.49.
Most of my webservers showed an error 500. Not quite all though, most reverse-proxied docker containers couldn't be displayed either. Last time Portainer still worked though, which is interesting I think.

I rolled back to version 2.4.41-4ubuntu3 (which was the only other version in my repos) and put apache2, apache2-bin, apache2-data and apache2-utils on hold.
After this everything worked normally again.

The error message was the same as last time:
AH10292: Invalid proxy UDS filename (proxy:unix:///var/www/vhosts/system/DOMAIN/php-fpm.sock|fcgi://127.0.0.1:9000/var/www/vhosts/DOMAIN/remote.php)

The sock file was still there.

@staff-members please address this issue or provide a workaround (other than holding the apache2-packages). With auto updates enabled this will kill lots of Plesk installations.

Having the same issue, have been requested to rollback the Apache version. Still haven't tested, but will confirm when have this working

The issue seems to be occurred because of Apache bug installed with last update to version 2.4.41-4ubuntu3.5. The issue is being discussed in ondrej apache repo, but vendor confirmed that it exists and was reported to mainstream (default Ubuntu repository).

Please downgrade Apache so far as a workaround to bring websites back:
apt-get install apache2=2.4.41-4ubuntu3.4 apache2-utils=2.4.41-4ubuntu3.4 apache2-data=2.4.41-4ubuntu3.4 apache2-bin=2.4.41-4ubuntu3.4

And mark Apache to hold until fix is available:
apt-mark hold apache2

Yes, had this automatic update on our server lastnight, killed 80 websites instantly...

Ran these commands to update to Apache 2.4.49 (Which has fixed the problem for me) - for anyone who isn't tech savvy.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/apache2
sudo apt install apache2

Get Versions, choose an earlier version, 2.4.29-1ubuntu4 may not be your system so adjust the install command (below) to an earlier version that you see.
Code:
apt list -a apache2

Downgrade version (some dependancies)
Code:
apt-get install apache2=2.4.29-1ubuntu4 apache2-bin=2.4.29-1ubuntu4 apache2-utils=2.4.29-1ubuntu4 apache2-data=2.4.29-1ubuntu4

The issue occurs as well on Ubuntu 18 and Ubuntu 20 which are installing Apache update from default OS repositions. So far consider one of the following workarounds:
1. Switch to FastCGi instead of PHP-FPM
2. Downgrade Apache to previous version:
  1. Find previously installed Apache version, based on below output you may see it is "2.4.41-4ubuntu3"
    # apt-cache showpkg apache2 | tail
    2.4.41-4ubuntu3.5 - httpd-cgi (= ) httpd (= )
    2.4.41-4ubuntu3 - httpd-cgi (= ) httpd (= )
    Reverse Provides:
  2. Now downgrade Apache to previous version, replace the value for the "version" variable with the one you found on previous step:
    # export version="2.4.41-4ubuntu3"; apt-get install apache2=$version apache2-utils=$version apache2-data=$version apache2-bin=$version
  3. Put it on hold until fix is available:
    # apt-mark hold apache2

Get Versions, choose an earlier version, 2.4.29-1ubuntu4 may not be your system so adjust the install command (below) to an earlier version that you see.
Code:
apt list -a apache2

Downgrade version (some dependancies)
Code:
apt-get install apache2=2.4.29-1ubuntu4 apache2-bin=2.4.29-1ubuntu4 apache2-utils=2.4.29-1ubuntu4 apache2-data=2.4.29-1ubuntu4
Lifesaver
How can I buy you a beer

Yes, had this automatic update on our server lastnight, killed 80 websites instantly...

Ran these commands to update to Apache 2.4.49 (Which has fixed the problem for me) - for anyone who isn't tech savvy.

Code:
sudo apt install apache2
This worked to get our 30 sites online. - Thanks @jackson

Just trying to work out how to undo that fix and apply @AntonM@Parallels fix.

Code:
sudo apt install apache2
this worked for us, several hundred websites knocked over instantly with this update

Back