• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

>> allow Plesk 11.5_64 to create dynamic subdomain

Laurent_C1

New Pleskian
SERVER : centOs with Plesk 11.5 - domain use wildcard via a dns config A and wilcard in DNS
1. I install wordpress and theme with multisite option.
2. I config it to use subdomain
3. its ok with wordpress but no subdomain created on the server.

Question : Someone know how to config plesk 11.5_64 and server to allow dynamic subdomain like myblog.mydomaon.com ?

Note : I fallow the tuto from wordpress :

/var/www/vhosts/domain.com/conf/ create or edit a vhost.conf file.

Add a single line - ServerAlias *.yourdomain.com - to the start of the file.

Note, for Plesk 10 you may find you need

Add a single line - ServerAlias "*.yourdomain.com" - to the start of the file.

Do not add the <ServerName> or <VirtualHost> headers - just add the server alias command and wildcard domain name on a single line as shown above.

Author's note - On my install, being a belt and braces type of guy, I also added these lines (without line numbers) after the ServerAlias line:

<Directory /var/www/vhosts/mydomain.com/>
AllowOverride FileInfo Options
php_admin_flag safe_mode off
</Directory>

Save the vhost.conf file and restart Apache again (as above).

That sets up the server to read the wildcard subdomain names, and point the page requests to the WordPress installation's root folder with its htaccess file, for resolving to the correct home or sub-site / sub-blog.

But, in order to get there, the DNS wildcard still has to be set - the standard WordPress instructions work fine for this too -

Got to your Domain page in Plesk - choose DNS settings - add a record
Add a CNAME entry using *.example.com CNAME example.com as the parameters.
Check the wildcard subdomain shows in the DNS list (probably as the top entry) and update DNS using the update button

Note - if you add the DNS record as an A record ( *.example.com in A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ) you might get some delays in resolving blog addresses initially. Using the CNAME entry in testing proved less troublesome. Your experience may differ.
On Plesk 11 I had to run this shell command as root in order to rebuild the vhosts config http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=260504 (Post #4):

Thank you

Hi,

is this the only Wildcard Domain on this Server?
If thats the case, it would be easier to just configure the default Website below the IP Management.

All Domains showing to this IP (As setup as wildcard in DNS) it will automaticly end up in the Wordpress Subscription.

Regards,
Kristian

The problem is this is impossible to create dynamic subdomain, When someone wants to create a blog it breaks, as you can see, wildcard is created : 2014-04-25 12.59.01.png , I configure wordpress to create subdomain : 2014-04-25 13.12.40.png; then I test it in a visitor mode and create an account : account.png and a subdomain : subdomain.png; got the certification from wordpress that CCCC is created but need activation : activate.png; I click the link in the mail : and no subdomain, I create It manually in wordpress, no subdomain, Strange. I contact wordpress and WPMU dev, each saif that plesk works right in subdirectory but dont understand why sub main no. They find solution via link I paste in the prevuios message via wildcard and file to modify But under PLESK 11.5_64 its broken. Do you see what must I do to make it run ???
Thank you

Back