• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question AlmaLinux 9 partitions

eronardiaras

Basic Pleskian
My vps provider installed AlmaLinux 9 for me, and then I installed Plesk on it.

However, partitions were created that were not created under CentOS 7. (I've used centOS linux so far)

How can I correct this without reinstalling? I assume that Plesk does not use the "/dev/mapper/almalinux-home" partition. As far as I can see, the websites are placed in the "/dev/mapper/almalinux-root" partition.

What happens if I expand vps storage? Which partition will grow automatically? (There was no such problem under CentOS: Everything was under the "/dev/vda1". It automatically increased when expanding.)

almalinux-partitions-eng.jpg

That would depend on your VPS provider but most of the time the only thing they will do is expand the virtual disk and you have to expand the partition yourself.

There is a way to also remove the /home partition and move it to root allowing you to expend root with that free space but you do it at your own risk (make sure you have a backup if this is being used in production or if you don't mind nuking and starting from scratch). You can see how it's done if you google around. Like this article I found, even though it's in relation to an Autodesk product it could still be used in this case:

That would depend on your VPS provider but most of the time the only thing they will do is expand the virtual disk and you have to expand the partition yourself.

There is a way to also remove the /home partition and move it to root allowing you to expend root with that free space but you do it at your own risk (make sure you have a backup if this is being used in production or if you don't mind nuking and starting from scratch). You can see how it's done if you google around. Like this article I found, even though it's in relation to an Autodesk product it could still be used in this case:

ThankYou!

If I do get the service provider to reinstall the AlmaLinux, what should I write to them about the partitions? (as simply as possible) I couldn't find a description of what Plesk expects here.

I looked at my active CentOS Plesk server, it's as simple as this:

centos-partitions.jpg

Are you not able to deploy the VPS yourself? Or have root access to the server? I know with Linode, Azure, AWS, and few others, when you deploy a VM, they have a pretty flat partition where mostly everything is stored in / to begin with. So never saw a VPS provider that does a /home partition.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to it. I only have ssh root access.
I just found this provider. Their offers are better, they give you more options, the biggest storage space, etc.
However, there is no one-click (optimized for this purpose) linux installation that is common with other service providers.
I assume they have regularized 1-2 linux distributions. And now that I needed a different one, they just installed it on quickly.

So should I just tell them to install it with as minimalist partitions as possible? Is there no Plesk-oriented sample for AlmaLinux?

If there's no portal for you to deploy and manage deployment yourself and can only put in a request to them makes things interesting at times.

Honestly I would just follow the directions I've provided in the first post since you do have root access. If it fails and need to be rebuilt, ask the provider to not include a /home partition.

As for plesk oriented sample, there isn't really since they're all pretty much the same, some people has different set up. Like with mine I have an additional storage volume attached that I have all of the vhosts files located on so I could expand that drive without needing to expand the VM itself if there's no need to.

And on most providers (azure, aws, gcp, linode) does have a plesk image but it's built off of Ubuntu.

Back