• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Alternative way of authentication (cPanel)

Rahulkm

New Pleskian
How to publish wpb without using default ftp login of cpanel

Hello,

Usually WPB uses default FTP logins (which is same as cpanel logins) to transfer the files during publish. I have disabled default ftp access due to security reasons in our cPanel server (Normal user ftp access enabled). Because of this, I'm getting following error message while publishing sites.

==
The site cannot be published to the specified location. Cannot publish to the specified host via ftp. Authorization failed.
==

I'm using latest version of WPB and cPanel.

Is there any alternative mechanism to publish the website using wpb? Or how can we resolve the problem without enabling default FTP?

Last edited:
Hi there,

Unfortunately current version of WPB plugin supports only FTP publishing.

Could you explain please what you mean with "default ftp access" and "normal user ftp access"?
I have disabled default ftp access due to security reasons in our cPanel server (Normal user ftp access enabled)

Hello,

Thank you for the response. This is what I meant:

Default FTP access- We can login FTP with cPanel login details (by default). I have disabled this option due to security reasons.
Normal FTP access- Additional FTP accounts can be created using cPanel and we can access FTP with that.

Eg:
domain: example.com
cpanel (ftp) username: example
password: pass
(By default, WPB uses these logins for publishing sites. But I have disabled this access, so getting error message as mentioned in my first post)
We can create ftp accounts like [email protected] on cpanel. These FTP accounts are allowed to login.

Hope its clear and you got my problem. Is there any solution for this?

Hello,

Thank you for the response. This is what I meant:

Default FTP access- We can login FTP with cPanel login details (by default). I have disabled this option due to security reasons.
Normal FTP access- Additional FTP accounts can be created using cPanel and we can access FTP with that.

Eg:
domain: example.com
cpanel (ftp) username: example
password: pass
(By default, WPB uses these logins for publishing sites. But I have disabled this access, so getting error message as mentioned in my first post)
We can create ftp accounts like [email protected] on cpanel. These FTP accounts are allowed to login.

Hope its clear and you got my problem. Is there any solution for this?

It's clear now.
WPB team have plans to change integration scheme and create additional FTP-user for WPB. Most likely this solves your issue.
New plugin version with changes in integration scheme are planned for May 2014 (it's a rough estimate).

Sorry, but right now I have no idea how to workaround this issue with disabled "Default FTP access".

Back