• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Angry and upset about the installation process

GoldenEye008

New Pleskian
Me and other 3 colleges are busy now for over 3.5 hours of installation with Plesk Onyx on brand new Windows Servers - freshly installed with Windows Server 2016 Std, installed all drivers and windows updates and in next step Plesk.

Since we had a lot of servers every technician installed plesk on another server and every one of us got the same error message while installing "plesk core":

Failed to install 'C:\ParallelsInstaller\parallels\PANEL-WIN_17.8.11\dist-windows\plesk_mu050.msi'

We tried to install other versions of plesk - always the same error message
After hours of trying (Installing Net Framwork functions, IIS functions etc) and reading of logfiles we found out that the problem is caused by the choosen Plesk administration password, because it contains a -> " <-
Are you serious?

Whatever... After choosing a password without " the installation passes the point with "plesk core components" but stopped with another error message

"php.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Checking the log files again... the installer trys to call the exe in the plesk/engine folder which isnt even present ... so whats wrong again?

Other versions brought the same error message.
Anyway, one of our technicians got the crackbrained idea it could be the Windows Admin User password which also contains a > " < (which is completely normal in austria or germany).
We changed the password of the windows admin user and restarted the plesk installation and u guess what?

The installation was completely successful without any errors...

Sorry when i appear rude in this case, but i have to write down my nuisance as this "software" isnt something which is for free - its sold as professional managment software and should also work like that and shouldnt have that kind of "freaky" bugs, as it would be very easy to check the choosen password for invalid characters right in the user interface (installer)

Best regards

Last edited:
Thank you for the report.
It is known issue PPPM-9854 which is already fixed in Plesk Obsidian 18.0

PPM-9854 only mentions the plesk admin password itself.
Maybe you could forward to dev team that the installation of plesk will also fail when the windows administrator user password also contains a > " <

Best regards

Last edited:
Back