• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Anti-virus and anti-spam enabled by default on mailbox creation ?

Mauro Vale

New Pleskian
Hi,

It is possible to have anti-virus and anti-spam enabled by default when we go to "CREATE E-MAIL ADRESS" -> "SPAM FILTER" / "ANTI-VIRUS" is always disabled.

Is is possible to change this behaviour?

Best Regards,

Automatic activation of antispam and antivirus was not implemented because it would have led to a serious drop in performance of the Plesk server in the case of mass mailboxes creation. For example, spamassassin is very demanding of system resources.
Therefore as possible solution you can use Event Manager for event 'mailbox creation' or something else. You can use variables for defining needed domains and mailboxes. More information in Plesk documentation.

Automatic activation of antispam and antivirus was not implemented because it would have led to a serious drop in performance of the Plesk server in the case of mass mailboxes creation. For example, spamassassin is very demanding of system resources.
Therefore as possible solution you can use Event Manager for event 'mailbox creation' or something else. You can use variables for defining needed domains and mailboxes. More information in Plesk documentation.

Hello Igor.

Why You mean, that Your premise about spamassasin "For example, spamassassin is very demanding of system resources." is true for everyone ? Many Your clients want to enable it by default, but Your answer is everytime negative.

Why is not possible to allow this from Plesk Panel ?
We must do a decision about our server instead of You !
Why we must do this much harder than it can be ?

Csaba.

Hello Igor.

Why You mean, that Your premise about spamassasin "For example, spamassassin is very demanding of system resources." is true for everyone ? Many Your clients want to enable it by default, but Your answer is everytime negative.

Why is not possible to allow this from Plesk Panel ?
We must do a decision about our server instead of You !
Why we must do this much harder than it can be ?

Csaba.

totally agreed.

just because a few people create 500 mailboxes massively (how can you even do that through the panel???) the rest of the world has to enable and configure all the mail options manually every time? that's nonsense. give us an option to set default values please and those who create massively can just disable it.

For mass enabling antispam or antivirus for all emails you can use following scripts:

# for i in `mysql -uadmin -p\`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow\` psa -Ns -e "select concat(mail.mail_name,\"@\",domains.name) as address from mail,domains,accounts where mail.dom_id=domains.id and mail.account_id=accounts.id order by address"`; do /usr/local/psa/bin/spamassassin -u $i -status true; done

# for i in `mysql -uadmin -p\`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow\` psa -Ns -e "select concat(mail.mail_name,\"@\",domains.name) as address from mail,domains,accounts where mail.dom_id=domains.id and mail.account_id=accounts.id order by address"`; do /usr/local/psa/bin/mail -u $i -antivirus inout; done

More details and options you can find in

# /usr/local/psa/bin/mail --help
# /usr/local/psa/bin/spamassassin --help

and modify scripts as you want.

you know Igor, if we wanted to do everything through shell and making our own scripts, we wouldn't need to buy Plesk licenses, don't you think?

please add this features to the panel ASAP. thank you.

Many Your clients want to enable it by default
How much? We can check it if you submit this feature request on https://plesk.uservoice.com and people will vote there.
I have explained already why we did this behaviour. If you think that this behaviour should be changed - please describe it on uservoice and we will mandatory consider this feature request if many people will vote.

What Sven L. is trying to say is that you do not have to enable this feature by default, BUT provide a feature in Server settings where the admin can switch it on to be a default setting (but OFF as default).

And, such a feature is a basic requirement that a user shouldn't have to do it through SHELL or even requires us to vote for it :)

The fact also is: 99.99% of our clients want there mailboxes protected from SPAM & Viruses by default :)

Ok. No problem. Let's follow usual way for passing your needs to Plesk development. Or uservoice or well-known template.

And just for the record : the mass option should include mass setting the 'What to do with messages classified as spam ' per user option. Or allow a per domain default setting for this and related options.

You can create a event handler to turn on the spam filter as you create them. In the Plesk Admin, goto Tools & Settings > Event Manager > Add New Event Handler

On Event Handler Properties page, set:

Event: Mail Account Created
Priority: lowest (default)
User: root
Command:
/usr/local/psa/bin/spamassassin -u <new_mailname> -status true -hits 7.0 -modify-subj true

I've used the command on Plesk 12 and it works.

Based off of http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?77530-enable-spam-filter-by-default and IgorG comment above.

this wouldnt be such a big deal, if it was possible (like it was in 9.5.4!) to massively change options in your domains.
i still have a 9.5.4 test server and i can just select all mailboxes at once and change nearly all of their settings in bulk. and spamsettings is one of them.

i understand that this feature got obsolete when you made service plans that can be synced to all domains... but inside each domain there are a lot of things (such as mailboxes) that you just removed this option and it's very needed.

why the need of a uservoice? you didn't use uservoice when you REMOVED the feature, so why now to PUT IT BACK?

S.

Back