• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Anyone with Redhat Linux 9?

T

ttk_2k

Hi, I don't want to pay for RHEL, and I don't want to use FreeBSD, and since Plesk also doesn't support CentOS, so I asked my box provider to install RedHat Linux 9 for me..

Most people say RH9 is on its end of life, I'll run my server for Invision Power Board, and seems I'm a troglodyte now...

Anyone know how to make the server secure and with as less trouble as possible? Can anyone provide some useful URL which I can twick RH9 to be safe and *work fine with Plesk*?? Thanks a lot!

I also want to know if how can I safely install GD2 and GZip... with Plesk installed..

Thanks a lot!

Hi.

Plesk does run on Centos 3.4 withough any problems at all, and if you have the option, you may want to get it installed instead of RH9. All you have to do is change the contents of a single file, and it then effectively looks to Plesk and everything else as though it is a normal RHEL 3 (update 4) installation.

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with having RedHat 9 either. I'm sure there will be at least anothoer year's worth of support on it from the Fedora Legacy Project (updates are done via Yum), so don't sweat.

There are a number of threads of helping to secure any version of RedHat here on this forum. There's one thread in particular with a title similar to "Help I've been hacked". Also look here:

http://www.grafxsoftware.com/util/PLESK-HOWTO.txt

But the most important place to go is www.atomicrocketturle.com, where you will find pre-packaged versions of php 4.3.10 with GD2 (don't know abou gzip). You will also find pre-packaged versions of what is arguably THE most important security-enhancement package, the grsec kernel patch on ART's site. However, his grsec packages are a paid subscription option, but at something like $140 per year, are worth every cent/penny. You can also install the grsec patches yourself (the software is free) but unless you are very confident with linux, I wouldn't bother. Just go for ART's packages.

I hope this helps a little.

Faris.

Oh thank you!

You've just provided very nice advising!

I'll spend time on checking those out!
Thank you once more!

Just in case you get stuck with RH 9 you can install apt and use freshrpms for updates, grab the apt rpm from here

http://apt.freshrpms.net/

Install and then run this

apt-get update

Then do a dry run to see what's going to be updated

apt-get -sf upgrade

If all looks ok run this and it will download and install the updates.

apt-get -f upgrade

You then clean up after the update with

apt-get clean

If you plan on keeping the server long-term I'd highly recommend CentOS 3.4 too.

Back