• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Apache update to 2.0.53

G

gunter

Hello everybody,

is it possible to install apache-2.0.53 on a suse 9.1 server with plesk 7.5.2?
Will I get any problems with plesk or is that uncritical?

thanks in advance

I'd also appreciate some help on updating apache on a plesk server (though a RedHat 9 one). I'm trying to install subversion, which needs 2.0.48.

Is there any info on the best way to update server software without it interfering with Plesk?

Looking for same solution. I have latest version of Plesk running on RH9. Need something more recent than apache 2.0.40. Also looking to set up a subversion server. Can anyone help with this? Looks like I will need to completely uninstall httpd, php, mysql, etc.. and rebuild them all... not something I feel comfortable doing. Can someone provide instructions on upgrading httpd on this kind of set up with out changing other installed programs? I want to make sure everything remains compatable with Plesk and future upgrades.

I wonder why SW-Soft doesn't give up a newer version of Apache?

Thanks for any help!

Mike

I'm not quite sure how to solve this problem elegantly, but I did in fact get Subversion running alongside a Plesk 7.5 install.

Basically, I installed a seperate Apache 2 installation that handles SVN. This seems to work fine considering Subversion runs on a seperate port. Although it did take me a while to figure out how to do everything without interefering with the Plesk install, in the end the basic steps were:

1. Install Apache2 in its own directory. I think I used the default /usr/local/apache2 directory.
2. Configure Apache 2 according to the installation instructions along with those provided by Subversion.
3. Make sure your Apache config is only listening to your domain on the subversion port, or any other port that is not your default apache 1 install's port (usually port 80) so that there are no port listening conflicts.

That's pretty much all there is to it, granted your Apache 2 install is pretty much dedicated to subversion and is not really doing much else. I used a similar technique to run php5 and php4 simulataneously so that I could use php5 on specific domains managed by plesk without breaking the standard plesk install. This involves mod_rewriting URLs by proxy to an internal domain while the Apache 2 install listens on a special port. I'll leave that for another post though.

Again, it's not perfect, but until sw-soft releases an update with both apache2 and php5 support, we'll have to make due.

Thanks for your response. Before I read it, I already installed the following rpms:

httpd-2.0.48-3.i386.rpm
mod_perl-1.99_09-10.i386.rpm
mod_python-3.0.3-3.i386.rpm
mod_ssl-2.0.48-3.i386.rpm
php-4.3.4-1.1.i386.rpm
php-imap-4.3.4-1.1.i386.rpm
php-ldap-4.3.4-1.1.i386.rpm
php-mysql-4.3.4-1.1.i386.rpm
php-odbc-4.3.4-1.1.i386.rpm
php-pgsql-4.3.4-1.1.i386.rpm

Now, the apache service starts up just fine but I am unable to pull up my web pages. I tried using my domain name and the IP address of my server and IE never displays anything (nor does it say that it cannot find the server).. it just "hangs". Well, did I screw things up? I can't find anything wrong in the config files... I tried using the new and old one and both seem to do the same thing. Any ideas?

Getting these notices in my error log:

[Fri Apr 08 16:50:16 2005] [notice] LDAP: Built with OpenLDAP LDAP SDK
[Fri Apr 08 16:50:16 2005] [notice] LDAP: SSL support unavailable
[Fri Apr 08 16:50:16 2005] [notice] suEXEC mechanism enabled (wrapper: /usr/sbin/suexec)
[Fri Apr 08 16:50:17 2005] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...

Not sure if they have anything to do with it.

Mike

Well, I commented out the line that loads the mod_auth_digest.so module and everything now works fine. Anyone know why this doesn't work anymore? I am not using this module, so it doesn't hurt to have it disabled.

So, I guess it is ok to upgrade apache because everything seems to work.

Mike

I just wanted to post a follow up saying that I'm using FreeBSD. I opted not to use FreeBSD's ports system and to install the aforementioned packages from source. Just a little FYI.

When it came to the subversion part itself, did it compile cleanly using the related libraries installed in Plesk, or did you have to compile the other libraries separately?

Was it an installation from source or binary?

Originally posted by infect
I'm not quite sure how to solve this problem elegantly, but I did in fact get Subversion running alongside a Plesk 7.5 install.

Basically, I installed a seperate Apache 2 installation that handles SVN. This seems to work fine considering Subversion runs on a seperate port. Although it did take me a while to figure out how to do everything without interefering with the Plesk install, in the end the basic steps were:

1. Install Apache2 in its own directory. I think I used the default /usr/local/apache2 directory.
2. Configure Apache 2 according to the installation instructions along with those provided by Subversion.
3. Make sure your Apache config is only listening to your domain on the subversion port, or any other port that is not your default apache 1 install's port (usually port 80) so that there are no port listening conflicts.

That's pretty much all there is to it, granted your Apache 2 install is pretty much dedicated to subversion and is not really doing much else. I used a similar technique to run php5 and php4 simulataneously so that I could use php5 on specific domains managed by plesk without breaking the standard plesk install. This involves mod_rewriting URLs by proxy to an internal domain while the Apache 2 install listens on a special port. I'll leave that for another post though.

Again, it's not perfect, but until sw-soft releases an update with both apache2 and php5 support, we'll have to make due.

Originally posted by rchurch
When it came to the subversion part itself, did it compile cleanly using the related libraries installed in Plesk, or did you have to compile the other libraries separately?

Was it an installation from source or binary?

I assume it's possible to get Subversion to link to the existing plesk installed libraries, but I opted to clean install all of the required libraries myself. The main reason for this was to circumvent any library mismatch issues. Installing them from scratch meant I had full control to tailor them to Subversion's needs... and I would rather not bother trying to upgrade (and potentially break) any of the standard plesk installs.

This was a source install on a FreeBSD 4.9 box.

Back