• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

apache user & group instead of the user name and group setup for the domain

hounds01

New Pleskian
v9.3
Linux redcat

I am unable to update files via FTP or through the file manager in Plesk for a wordpress theme. I am unable to update files through Plesk's file manager or through FTP (CuteFTP). I have changed the settings in FTP, changed CHMOD, etc but no luck.

I get this error:

Error: Unable to edit file /httpdocs/testsite/wp-content/themes/galleria/includes/css/standard.css: filemng failed: cp: cannot create regular file `/var/www/vhosts/robertibrucephotography.com.au/httpdocs/testsite/wp-content/themes/galleria/includes/css/standard.css': Permission denied
filemng: Error occured during /bin/cp command.

It seems the theme added has apache as the user & group instead of the user name and group setup for the domain. This is the same for the twenty ten theme which comes with WP. Files can be written to for other WP themes that use the user name and group setup for the domain. The themes are loaded through WP and I have tried to load them by FTP and then activate them in WP but this doesn’t work. When I load them through by FTP it uses user name and group setup for the domain.

I can’t work out we Plesk does this. I have looked on the WP forum but the only suggestion was to change the setting in the domain in the Plesk panel, web hosting setting, PHP support – change option from Apache module to Fast CGI but aparently that slows the server done and can crash.

WP was loaded through the Plesk panel applications menu

Can you shed any light on this?

You will need to install mod_suphp or mod_ruid2 to have no issues with this apache:apache user. You can search on forum, it was discussed many times this or check our HOW TO in my signature.

Back