• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Apache2 Service and PleskControlPanel Service

A

AUser

I have noticed that both the Apache2 Service and the PleskControlPanel Service have the same properties when I look at them in the Services MMC. They appear to be the same service with two different names.

I have also noticed that when I have the PleskControlPanel started, Apache2 will not start (Application Event errors are recorded); when Apache2 is started, PleskControlPanel will not start (no Application Event errors are recorded). Both services are set to Automatic startup, so, of course, when the server reboots, I have a problem. For now, I've changed Apache2 to manual start to resolve this.

I didn't ever encounter this issue until after I ugraded from Plesk 7.5.5 to Plesk 7.5.6 for Windows.

Does anyone know the reason for both of these services listed in the Services MMC and why both are set to Automatic startup by default?

Plesk use 2 Apache servers to work. One for control panel and one for Tomcat applications.

It appears Tomcat isn't even installed in my current Plesk configuration. I don't believe I'll be needing it anyway. Should both Apache2 and PleskControlPanel services still be appearing in Services MMC with automatic startups? If so, how do I prevent them from conflicting with each other since they run the exact same command? Should I have Tomcat installed, will I run into this problem again?

you know it is hard to say where is Apache2 belongs to

anyway you could try to stop this service and check whether plesk functioning correctly

That's exactly what I've done: stopped the Apache2 service and set it to manual start (so it doesn't automatically start up at system start up). And, it appears Plesk is working just fine. I just wanted to be sure that I'm not putting a band-aid on a bigger problem.

A follow-up...

SWSoft's tech support guru said that it was safe to remove the Apache2 service with the following command :

%plesk_bin%\apache.exe -k uninstall

Hope that helps anyone who encounters the same problem I did.

Back