• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

"Applying the DNS zone template" does not complete

ottenhoff

New Pleskian
PRODUCT, VERSION
Plesk 10.4.4 Update #18 (psa v10.4.4_build1013111102.18 os_CentOS 6)

OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
CentOS 6.2 (Linux 2.6.32-220.4.1.el6.x86_64)

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
When updating the DNS Template via the panel web interface at:

Home > Tools & Settings > DNS Template Settings

the panel reports the following:

Applying the DNS zone template. (0/266 of zones are synced)

See attached screen shot.

ACTUAL RESULT
The panel does not complete the task and continues to report:

after 2 hours.

The timestamps of the files in /var/named/chroot/var show that the process did in fact stall, leaving only about 10 of the files updated and the others untouched. Since we identified the issue, we have done manual updates to each of the 250 other zones (via the "DNS Settings" from the customer face control panel.)

EXPECTED RESULT

Panel to report task completed (within about 3-4 minutes) based on previous observations.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

/usr/local/psa/admin/logs/panel.log reports:

2012-02-21T16:28:24-08:00 ERR (3): Unable to synchronize DNS zone [22] xxxxxxxxx.com: Unable to restore the DNS zone: an error occurred while adding the webmail.xxxxxxxxx.com. IN CNAME webmail.xxxxxxxxx.net. record: Such DNS record already exists.

We have remove the offending DNS entry from the xxxxxxxxx.com domain, but are unable to restart or kill the "Applying the DNS zone template" message in the Plesk web interface.

We have tried the following, without any change:

/etc/init.d/psa restart
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/dnsmng --restart
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/dnsmng --restart

We have, however, successfully added new subscriptions that have used the updated DNS template and all other DNS services seem to be running normally. It's just the Plesk interface is still reporting that it's applying the updates.

No errors in /var/log/messages either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 5.53.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 5.53.53 PM.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 23
It's coming up on 48 hours with no change in behavior. The panel continues to report:

There's a reply to another forum post "Subscription DNS zones can't be synced (Feb 21, 2012, 11:54 AM)" where the user reports being successful in updating all rows with the the psa.dns_zones table with

UPDATE dns_zone SET syncRecords = 'skip', syncSoa = 'skip';

I'm considering this, but I want to understand the impact of making this change and what, if any, warnings there are to doing it. I'm not a fan of making such a low-level change to Plesk's normal operating without a clear and full understanding of the impact.

Parallels: Can you provide any insight on this? Please reply either way. Also, if this is not the best way to submit this issue, please let me know.

It's now be 17 days and we're still seeing the message

Parallels: Can you provide any insight on this? Please reply either way. Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround.

It's now be over 30 days with the same message.

Parallels: I have posted this report, in the format that was requested, yet I have received no feedback or comments from the Parallels staff. Should I not expect a response from the Parallels staff in these forums. Do I need to open (and pay for) a support ticket to resolve this issue?

I have exactly the same problem.

I updated the DNS records to allow a new IP address to perform a remote transfer.

still same problem here

I have set all the zones in the database to sync false and the dns templates still has a spinning gif and a message sayinh 0/300 zones updated. 2 weeks now.

I have it too at my server. Does someone knowing a solution.

I found this at the forum:
Code:
/usr/local/psa/bin/server_pref -u -subdomain-dns-zone own

It will not resolve this problem. I have tried this already from above.
I have found no solution to stop the sync.

3 days and counting,

Applying the DNS zone template. (0/145 of zones are synced)

Anyone find a solutions for this?

Whoa, I'm new here with Plesk and this is not a good omen as I need to install a few 100 domains and not looking forward to hitting this problem with no solution.

One thing I would do is to turn on MySQL logging, briefly, and try another sync and see if there are any errors reported by MySQL itself. My Plesk server is offline so I can't check but it might be: add "log = /var/log/mysql.log" to /etc/mysql/my.cnf, touch /var/log/mysql.log, chown it to the MySQL user/group (ps aux|grep mysq), and restart MySQL. Do a DNS sync, wait a few seconds, and comment out the log line and restart MySQL again to turn it off the logging and then examine /var/log/mysql.log for any obvious errors.

Last edited:
Hey guys I ran into the same problem.

It seems that the www cname record was missing in my dns zone template ever since I installed update #22, so all domains created since then didn't have the www cname and I just caught that today.

So I go add www cname to the dns zone template and....

Applying the DNS zone template. (0/755 of zones are synced) and after finding this thread I had a feeling it would stay at 0. ugh

Checking panel.log I found this
2012-05-17T17:17:51-06:00 ERR (3): Unable to synchronize DNS zone [59] domain.com: Unable to restore the DNS zone: an error occurred while adding the webmail.domain.com. IN A xxx.xxx.xxx record: Such CNAME DNS record already exists.

Using mysql I found that all records up to 58 had syncRecords set to true and the remaining zones set to false in the dns_zones table. So I went to the domains control panel listed in the error above and went to the dns settings and I get the message that the dns zones are not synced with a link to sync. I click the link and it fails(probably logs the same error in panel.log but I didn't check)

I found if I deleted the webmail cname record, clicked the link to confirm my changes to dns records, then clicked the sync link it would successfully sync and the webmail cname record would magically show up. hmmm ok.

Then I went back to tools & settings-> dns zone template I still notice 0/755. So i click on my www cname to edit it but I don't make any changes to it, click ok, it asks me to sync and I click it and the process starts over.

Now looking at dns_zones I found that the process made it a little further. It stopped on another domain. checked panel.log, yup shows that same error but referencing a different domain. Then I noticed the ticker went to something like 200/755.

So I repeat the same process above, deleting the webmail cname record for the domain through that domains panel, update sync, then back to dns zone template, click on a record, don't change anything just hit ok and start sync.
rinse repeat

I finally got all the zones to sync and my count looked like 3500/755 heh, nice

Turns out every domain the sync failed on actually had email addresses setup and was using horde or atmail. Lucky for me not many of our clients do so I was able to get through this process pretty quick.

I tried doing this through mysql but it didn't seem to work unless I went to the dns settings for the domain, deleted webmail cname, updated, synced.

So far so good with all 755 clients dns zones, webmail.

I'm sure there is a better/faster way to do what I explained above but I'm a plesk/linux noob.

Sure wish parallels would test more before releasing products/updates. I have ran into so many of these bugs and they are a nightmare to fix.

Hope this wall of text helps someone.

Last edited:
Well done Parallels, ignoring another bug for 3+ months...

Please get your act together and at least reply to people when they report bugs in Plesk.

What about the hosting companies still on Plesk 10?

Surely you haven't stopped providing bug fixes for Plesk 10 already!?

Back