• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Arbitrary "Received by" data in email headers

J

johansand

Hi all,

We have some virtual hosts on our server on one shared IP address. When a user sends an email via his own domain's smtp server using SMTP Authentication, it seems as if the email server simply picks any arbitrary domain name registered on the shared IP address as "Received by" and sends it to the receiver:

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Delivered-To: [email protected]
Received: (qmail 6898 invoked from network); 17 Sep 2005 13:00:00 +0200
Received: from 111-111-111-111.some.dsl.comp.net (HELO computer) (111.111.111.111)
by another-domain.tld with SMTP; 17 Sep 2005 13:00:00 +0200
Reply-To: <[email protected]>
To: "User Two" <[email protected]>

I am aware of that the shared IP address has more than one domain, and that the IP address resolves to any of those domains at random when looked up, but shouldn't there be a way to have the smtp server recognize under which domain name the authentication took place, and use that domain name in the "Received by" data?

Does anybody know???

Thanks a lot in advance

/j.

Uhm, so I've heard that it has something to do with the Plesk/Qmail integration, but I've got no other leads.

Could it really be that nobody here knows about this and that I'm the only Plesk user facing this problem?

If anyone has any leads or specifics, I'd truly appreciate it.

thanks
/j.

As I recall, you just need to remove all the PTR records from all domains except the one you want the email to have been "received by".

You should also modify the default plesk DNS template (in the server section of the CP) so that it does not add a PTR record for any new domains you add (there's no point having a PTR) for every domain.

Strangely, this issue has never happened to me. I don't quite understand why it happens to some and not others.

Faris.

Faris,

I've confirmed your suggestion with a third party and it really seems to be the way to go. The reverse lookup is the bandit in this case.

Thanks a million for your time and solution.

cheers
/j.

Back