• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Atomic ModSecurity ASL errors

jola

Basic Pleskian
TITLE:
Atomic ModSecurity ASL errors
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Plesk Onyx 17.8.11 Update #18, CentOS Linux 7.5.1804
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
Starting this night I started getting error emails every hour from Cron on my Plesk server. I am running the latest update both of Plesk (late adopter releases) and CentOS 7.5. The error emails contain this:

==
/etc/cron.hourly/asl:

Error: ASL has not been configured
==

I am using the Advanced ModSecurity Rules by Atomicorp (subscription). I recently updated the annual license for these rules.​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
I automatically get these error email every hour from the hourly Cron job.​
ACTUAL RESULT:
I get error hourly emails from the Cron job​
EXPECTED RESULT:
The Plesk server should automatically update the Advanced ModSecurity rules from Atomicorp without giving any ASL related errors in the Cron jobs​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Help with sorting out

Maybe it will be helpful.

According to our investigation, the issue occurred during UpdateModSecurityRuleSet part of Plesk Daily Maintenance Task.

All solutions and workarounds are described in the following article: Notification in Plesk: Error: ASL has not been configured run-parts: /etc/cron.hourly/asl exited with return code 1

We also noticed that issue fixed itself automatically after a day (or even earlier), as there was one test machine (that is currently gone) where the owner was able to solve it by running:

# run-parts /etc/cron.daily/
# run-parts /etc/cron.hourly/

So it seemed like /etc/cron.daily/asl broke it and then /etc/cron.daily/asl fixed it.
Overall we did not notice any issues related to Plesk.

Back