• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Automatic Update MariaDB to 10.3.24

karam

Basic Pleskian
Hello Community, Today I received this, should I be worried ? or take any action ? we cannot handle another downtime :(
1597154677026.png

If MariaDB is updated successfully and Plesk continues to work, then what are you worried about?

If MariaDB is updated successfully and Plesk continues to work, then what are you worried about?

Am worried if I restarted the server and it failed to work.. And to be more specific, am worried about init scripts to have been messed up.. Although I updated mariadb long time ago from 5 to 10.3 using plesk's tutorial

Kind Regards
Karam

The update of the MariaDB server library has restarted the server, so there should not be any issues on further restarts.

However, due to a previous bad experience with a faulty MariaDB update (which did not come from Plesk, but from the MariaDB developers) it might be wise to turn automatic system updates off and check the forums before running these updates manually.

The update of the MariaDB server library has restarted the server, so there should not be any issues on further restarts.

However, due to a previous bad experience with a faulty MariaDB update (which did not come from Plesk, but from the MariaDB developers) it might be wise to turn automatic system updates off and check the forums before running these updates manually.

Thanks @Peter Debik for confirming that.. I wish Plesk team might create a separate repository for stable MariaDB updates.. I mean those kind of updates might really break everything.. but so far so good.. Thanks

I wish Plesk team might create a separate repository for stable MariaDB updates
Plesk doesn't ship MariaDB, it only downloads it from the original OS vendor repository.

Plesk doesn't ship MariaDB, it only downloads it from the original OS vendor repository.

Yes I understand this, here's my 2 cents,
As Plesk have some limitations with MariaDB versions higher than 10.3, there will always be a risk of an update coming from MariaDB developers..
And I don't want to turn off automatic updates, therefor, to reduce the risk of unwanted breaks in servers, why not Plesk team create a repository for MariaDB and when new version comes up, the team tests it then includes it in the repository..of course if there are no legal issues ... just a suggestion though.

Yes I understand this, here's my 2 cents,
As Plesk have some limitations with MariaDB versions higher than 10.3, there will always be a risk of an update coming from MariaDB developers..
And I don't want to turn off automatic updates, therefor, to reduce the risk of unwanted breaks in servers, why not Plesk team create a repository for MariaDB and when new version comes up, the team tests it then includes it in the repository..of course if there are no legal issues ... just a suggestion though.
What was originally included above was a minor update, not an update to 10.4.x so if you're concerned, you could block updates from MariaDB.

I assume that Plesk doesn't want to take on the management of its own set of databases which has both benefits and downsides (you'll have posters screaming about forced updates and others complaining about behind behind the bleeding edge).

What was originally included above was a minor update, not an update to 10.4.x so if you're concerned, you could block updates from MariaDB.

I assume that Plesk doesn't want to take on the management of its own set of databases which has both benefits and downsides (you'll have posters screaming about forced updates and others complaining about behind behind the bleeding edge).

Yes yes I won't update at all to 10.4 as it's not advised by Plesk too.
But I was thinking that something like the database server should be maintained by Plesk, even for minor updates..imagine that MariaDB did an incompatible update with Plesk.. all servers will be down? I mean the risk is too high compared to benefits.. it's just a discussion though, we are all safe for now haha

So if Pllesk maintained it, I won't have to block updates from MariaDB, even if we got behind the bleeding edge, but at least better than completely blocking the updates from MariaDB and do that manually and testing if it works or not on a backup server.. I mean so much effort there will be

What do you think ?

No doubt, it would be slick to have Plesk take care of the database install and updates as part of its package just as it maintains its own PHP packages but I would mark it down as a not likely to happen scenario since Plesk isn't likely going to get into the business of maintaining site-facing database repositories.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first to jump on board with it if that happens as it's one less third party update to worry about from an admin perspective.

Well let's hope that happens then.. if they did it with PHP packages.. why not doing it with database packages too..
I like Plesk and how greatly it makes it easy for users to maintain servers and so on.. I think maintaining databases could improve the stability reputation compared to other panels like Cpanel...
or making all databases versions compatible with Plesk...which I think they would've done long time ago if that was easily done..so maintaining what's compatible is a good choice.

Well let's hope that happens then.. if they did it with PHP packages.. why not doing it with database packages too..
I like Plesk and how greatly it makes it easy for users to maintain servers and so on.. I think maintaining databases could improve the stability reputation compared to other panels like Cpanel...
or making all databases versions compatible with Plesk...which I think they would've done long time ago if that was easily done..so maintaining what's compatible is a good choice.

In some ways it wouldn't be terribly challenging since they already do it for the database service that ships with Plesk so they could offer a "Use vendor database" option just like we see with PHP handlers as a default alongside a "Use MariaDB shipped with Plesk" option.

Now THAT would be interesting!

Back