• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

AWStats Update Frequency

Gene Steinberg

Regular Pleskian
OK, on my server, it's set to update around 3:40 AM local time.

Is there a way to make it happen more frequently? Maybe every hour or two hours?

How?

Peace,
Gene

Hi,

The problem with updating much more that every 12 hours is that you're likely to overload your server. Awstats (like most stats programs) are heavily CPU, memory and I/O intensive.

====
Cron daily script for Awstats is /etc/cron.daily/awstats

Please try moving this to /etc/cron.hourly/
====

Thank you,

When I do this list:
[root@server cron.hourly]# ls -l

total 20

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 392 Jul 30 2014 0anacron

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 362 Mar 9 2015 0yum-hourly.cron

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 848 Dec 7 12:38 asl

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 152 Aug 18 01:09 awstats

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 510 Sep 24 01:00 plesk-php-cleanuper

[root@server cron.hourly]#

All names are green except for awstarts, which is black.

????

Never mind I fixed permissions:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 392 Jul 30 2014 0anacron

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 362 Mar 9 2015 0yum-hourly.cron

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 848 Dec 7 12:38 asl

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 152 Aug 18 01:09 awstats

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 510 Sep 24 01:00 plesk-php-cleanuper

Make it work now? What? How to restart?

I have never used these stat software. If they are resourceful is it a good idea to remove them from add remove modules in plesk

They're not that resource intensive. I just ran AWStats, and it had minimal impact to the load average on my dedicated server. I just wish Plesk would let you run multiple stat apps at the same time as cPanel does, so you can evaluate a cross-section of data.

At the end of the day, I put the AWStats update all cron in the hourly category. It doesn't come close to overwhelming the server, and I have updated numbers. We move a fair amount of traffic through my sites, plus loads of downloads of my two radio shows, and the server seems far less resource tasked than some more powerful cPanel servers I've used.

Has anyone done a comparison of resource needs for similarly equipped cPanel and Plesk servers?

Peace,
Gene

Back