• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Backup and additional files between backupdate and today

• Thread starter Deleted member 188409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188409

Hello together,
I have one question regarding the backup management: If I restore an (full) backup, will be files delete which was create between date of backup and today?

Example: Backup of 1.1.2018, I have add some files on 2.2.2018 and make restore today to 1.1.2018. My files from 2.2.2018 are deleted or will be only overwrite existing files?

FYI: If I am login with admin data I navigate to Customer - > Login as Customer (I choose any customer) -> go to Backup manager (right on top site) and choose a full backup. I choose "all Objects (whole System)" and remove select on Mail.

2018-07-09 10_17_50-Backup wiederherstellen, das am 1. Juli 2018 04_11_00 erstellt wurde.png

After that I klick on restore.
Normally I expect files, database etc. (without mails) from date of backup without files between backup date and today. I am right?

From my previous experience the restore leaves existing additional files that are not part of the backup intact and overwrites files and directories that exist in the backup. But the last time I had tested it was maybe half a year ago.

We here never run any risks and always tar the directory and dump the database before doing a restore, so that if something goes wrong during the restore, we still have the previous (latest) version that was running before the restore attempt ready. I suggest you do the same to make sure that in case the restore does remove existing files you can restore the previous version from your quick tar backup.

Did you have any idea how can I elude this problem? Maybe a hacker have install additional files and I have to restore all files including new files have to be deleted since last backup.

Thanks for you answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Back