• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup Bug!!!

Red Paint

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

I've discovered a bug in Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2 for Linux/UNIX. When doing a server backup to a remote FTP sever Plesk is backing up to the FTP server, locally AND for all individual domains. Clearly this is not what should be happening.

I have not set up or scheduled any backups for clients yet these are ALL being performed.

I'm running FreeBSD

Hello,

Please take a look at the following Knowledge Base article:

[Info] Backup structure in Parallels Plesk Panel 9
http://kb.odin.com/en/6082

Since Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2 when you create a full backup it includes all clients and domains backups accessible via {Clients -> <client.name> -> Backup Manager} and {Clients -> <client.name> -> Domains -> <domain.name> -> Backup Manager}.

Regards,
Denis.

Hi Dennis,

So, just to get this clear:

If I want to create a nightly backup of the server for disaster recovery purposes and I choose for this backup to be stored externally and transfered to an external source by FTP that:

- Plesk will also create local backups of all sites
- Plesk will also create a local copy of the single server backup file
- Plesk will not delete these extra files, I have to manually delete them
- Plesk, by default, will include these files in its calculation of allocated space
- This is all by design?

Personally I find that a little odd. Perhaps if an external FTP source is defined is possible people do not want a local copy? At the very least there should be an option of switching off the local copies.

Am I alone in thinking this?

I just want a single backup tar sent to an external server for disaster recovery. In the schedule backup settings I chose "Personal FTP repository" not "Server repository". If I am doing something wrong I would love to be pointed in the right direction but it seems to me that the service is not behaving as a typical user would expect it to.

We are fast running out of disk space. Is there any solution to this problem or does Parallels think that everyone has unlimited disk space?

we had the same problem and we have used something like 4 tickets to the parallels support paid system to try to solve.
we have listen to a series of answer like "increase the bandwith from the plesk server to the backup ftp server" (done: if the trasfer time of the single ftp backup task is more than an hour and an half "real", 2 hours "in theory", the task crashes and the backup remain appended) , "use active FTP" (done, changes nothing) "use passive FTP" (done, changes nothing) to reach to the final answer "bugfix comes in the next version". at that time we were using 9.2.1 release and the 9.2.2 are in deployment. apply the 9.2.2 have changed nothing. in the 9.2.3 changelog we haven't see nothing about ftp backup, but we havent' tried again to see if something changed. and we haven't a great desire to spend much more money to the support system to haven't a solution over that problem.

what we have done is a couple of Crontab script (one over the Plesk Server and one over the FTP server) that checks the backup files and delete the ones in excess.

THAT mitigates the problem for us. don't solve, but at least we don't go again out of disk space or we don't see anymore customers domains blocked from the quota system without a reason.
But our script is based on backup file names, that we have standardized, and directory where the files are stored over the FTP server, so i don't think that it can be useful for someone else that have a different infrastructure than ours.
what i can say to you is to make the same thing: if you want to use the FTP backup system , consider to create those shell scripts for your environment

I have submitted request to developers regarding described problem. I will update this thread with their answer as soon as I receive it.

I have the same issue - and even if you set the back to 2 - If you don't keep deleting the old backups - it will fill up your server harddrive space completely and crash the server ........

So, now that I am currently using 100GB of 120GB and need to migrate to another server, i cannot, because any backup I perform will not have enough local space to complete.

Thanks Parallels. Again.

I have a problem restoring the FTP backup to my server.
It doesn't restore the backup.
I see hours and hours the "wait. loading" screen after try to restore from FTP server.
Is this a problem similar than yours?
Any help will be gratefull.
Thanks!

Can someone clarify something for me. The artical mentioned here: http://kb.odin.com/en/6082
states that the .xml and teh .tgz file are needed to restore from the backup. Since the .tgz file is the only file getting backed up to the FTP server does that mean deleting all the files in the /dumps directories will void any chance of restoring from the .tgz files on the FPT server? In essence making the FTP backups completely useless since you can not restore from them alone?

This reminds me of the time that PLESK just removed the FTP backups in version 8 without warning.

Back