• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup encryption

schlimpf

Basic Pleskian
Hi there,

I am currently trying to find out what exactly is encrypted if I choose to encrypt the backups on the server ftp repository.
Just some account passwords? As I found out the hostes files are not being encrypted. Are the database dumps encrypted?

Regards,
schlimpf

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer IgorG, but I think you misunderstood me.
I know that the Backup itself is not password protected. My question is which files inside the tar archive are encrypted?
I did not find anything in the documentation about this. As far as I could see only the passwords of the back-upped users are encrypted. Am I right with that?

Edit: If I am right with that, the Note
"In order to improve backup security, we recommend that you protect the backup with a password. This makes impossible for an attacker to obtain sensitive data in case the security of your backup storage is compromised. Note that if you forget your password, it cannot be recovered. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to keep a list of your passwords and corresponding backup file names in a safe place."
which shows up on the FTP Backup repository settings is a little bit exaggerated because sensitive data can also be files/databases of the vhost

Last edited:
Schlimpf, what Igor means is that:
The backup archive it self is crypt-ed and for you decrypt it, you need the password you set earlier.

Schlimpf, what Igor means is that:
The backup archive it self is crypt-ed and for you decrypt it, you need the password you set earlier.
Did you check that? My archive is not crypted.

Still, when I reupload the archive, Plesk tells me that the archive is protected and prompts for a password. So there must be some files inside the archive that are encrypted.
But as far as is know, no vhost files or database dumps are being encrypted. I think only the passwords for webhosting etc. are being encrypted which leads to my previous post that the backup encryption note which shows up on the backup settings is misleading...

Last edited:
Alright, i for one I have not tested this much, so I can't say much. However if you have already checked and confirm that website files (vhosts), email content and database dumps are not encrypted then what much value does the encryption offer?

Back