• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Backup excluding folders/files

Jerry3

Basic Pleskian
Is in 10.3 now an option to exclude certain folders or files in the domain? THis option was there in 7.5 and up and since then it is not :-(

How do I backup all except source folder for example?

I need to post a form why it is important for me to exclude folders?

1. Because I don't need some folders to be backed up, because they contain source images from users, backuping them makes my everyday backup 300 GB instead of 10 GB.

2. Because this WAS in plesk 8.6 and now it is not. You could tell us why you removed that feature. I don't think sending a form will bring it back.

So to sum up your answers: I can not exclude folders and files I want any more. I have to stay with Plesk 8.6 then.

Could you please tell me if key for Plesk 10.x works on 8.6 also as I have Plesk 10 keyfile from my provider. Or could I get Plesk 8.6 keyfile somehow?

Last edited:
License key from 10.x is not compatible with 8.x version. Regarding license related questions contact your sales representative. I don't know why excluding directories possibility is not presented in current Plesk version. But I can submit corresponding feature request for implementing it to next Plesk versions if you fill mentioned template. And you can use 8.x version, of course but I'm not sure that it is good idea.

Ok, thanx, I'll fill it. Plesk 8.6 works great on my current server. I tried to move Plesk 8.6 backup to 10.3 with no success... I have converted backup to 9.x and then to 10.x but still doesn't import so many errors :-( So I am rather stuck at 8.6.

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk control panel 10.x, Windows 2008 R2, Intel Sandy Bridge i2600

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE

In Plesk 8.x there was a possibility to exclude folders or files (with wildcard support) from backups. Now since 9.x this feature is gone. Could you please bring it back? For example, I have a source pictures folder my visitors upload for future purposes. Domain backup is 300 GB without the exclusion and 10 GB if I exclude this folder. I don't need every day backup of all my visitors source files ;-( Putting them to another domain would break my ajax, I still allow visitors to use this pictures when needed for some changes. I just don't need them every day in backup.

I think backup lost a great deal without ability to exclude files/folders based on wildcard. It prevents me to upgrade to 10.x and I believe many others also have problem because of this...

ACTUAL RESULT

Backup of whole server/domain.

EXPECTED RESULT

backup of whole domain excluding folder I don't want.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Please return this feature!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you. I have forwarded your request to developers and will update thread with any useful information.

Thank you, you are very kind. I am looking forward to this. I am waiting 2 years for this to come back, I hope I am lucky...

Very Usefull

The same here. In my opinion this is crucial to reduce disk space, bandwith and time
All websites we deploy use the same framework, so we dont need to backup the entire framework.
Actually our framework was designed to store all important files in one single folder and being able to choose which folders I want backed up would make my like so much easier.

I just signed up for a new dedicated server with Plesk for hosting purposes and if that feature is not available Ill have to code or use third party system and discard Plesk's backup feature.

Im gonna take a look at Plesk backup utility to see if it will allow me folder/file exclusion and if it is not available (version 10.04) I will submit the form as well, as I believe it is a valuable feature for us.

Thanks

Eder

Partial domain backup - please!

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk control panel 10.x, Windows 2008 R2, Intel Sandy Bridge i2600

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Can create a "partial" backup plan for domains

All websites we develop and host use the same framework and out of thousands of files, we only need to backup one single folder. Saving me a lot of time, disk space, bandwith and cutting down the time it takes to restore one website to a few minutes only, compared to dealing with domains with thousands of unnecessary files.

ACTUAL RESULT

Backup of whole server/domain.

EXPECTED RESULT

backup of selected folders based on the skeleton used or else, this way I can have backups for one client different than backups from another client. Example: for one client account I only install Magento Stores, therefore only a couple folders need be backed up among the huge collection of files a Magento Store needs...

So I can have different frameworks at different accounts, and through the skeleton or a list, I can define which folders I want backed up. That would be quite worthy feature and you cant ignore how much the framework scene has come into hosting servers. Would make a lot of people's lives easier and seems quite easy to implement.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Very important!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Back