• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Backup fails because list_admin.py has error

mbarchfe

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.57 #5
Hi,

since I upgraded Ubuntu from 18.04 to 20.04, I get the following error during backup:

Unable to back up mailing list <mailing list name>. Error: Failed to exec python: Exit code: 1: File "/opt/psa/PMM/list_admin.py", line 24 except getopt.error, msg:

It seems to be related to the python version. The default python version is now 3.8.

What python version am I supposed to set as default so that the plesk backup runs again?

thanks
Markus

Could you please provide the content of these definitions from /etc/psa/psa.conf here:
PYTHON_BIN
MAILMAN_ROOT_D
MAILMAN_VAR_D

sure.

# Mailman directories
MAILMAN_ROOT_D /usr/lib/mailman
MAILMAN_VAR_D /var/lib/mailman
PYTHON_BIN /usr/bin/python

and

root@vserver ~ # ls -l /usr/bin/python
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Apr 15 2020 /usr/bin/python -> python3
root@vserver ~ #
which python3
/usr/bin/python3
root@vserver ~ # ls -l /usr/bin/python3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 13 2020 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.8
root@vserver ~ #
which python3.8
/usr/bin/python3.8
root@vserver ~ # ls -l /usr/bin/python3.8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5465880 Nov 22 11:22 /usr/bin/python3.8

According to developers it should be /usr/bin/python2 (or a symbolic link to it), e.g.:

[root@host]# grep python /etc/psa/psa.conf
PYTHON_BIN /usr/bin/python
[root@host]# ll /usr/bin/python
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Nov 17 09:49 /usr/bin/python -> python2*

I am not sure what the implications would be to install Python 2 and link to it. Did you ever uninstall it?

Developers say, you should try to install Python 2, because that is required to backup mailman.

Python2 was still installed on Ubuntu 20.04. I just had to change the link from /usr/lib/ptyhon to /usr/lib/python2.
Now the backup is running fine again.
Thanks

Back