• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup is twice the size of space used

I

itgroup

I have several customers, and out of all of those, i have 1 that when plesk goes to backup their site, it uses twice the amount of space. This customer is using just over 2GB of disk usage, but when the backup runs, it appears to be backing everything up twice within the same .tar file.

After looking inside the .tar file, i noticed that there is a backup_vhosts.tgz file that is 2GB, then also there is a folder called phosting and inside there is another 2GB of backup files, so that is why it's 4GB in size total. Problem is, this is not happening to any of my other customers, just this customer.

What could be causing that, and/or how can i make it only not make the backup_vhost.tgz file?

Thanks in advance!

I've seen the same behaviour when doing this manually. with my scripts to S3
customers are now also devided into resellers and clients, so I had to modify my scripts.

I also see that from newly created or not earlier used databases, the database in its total is not exported (only the header of the database).

So yes, I think somewhere in the backup things go wrong.

update: database was not being backupped due to a table locked / corrupted .. found very deep in the system some plesk logfiles .. telling me this

Last edited:
This user, along with another user both signed up while i had previously plesk9 installed. This problem was happening with plesk9 as well. I deleted the job for backup that runs nightly, and re-added the job, no change. Running it manually causes the backup to be twice the size as well.

The only difference between this customer and the other customer is this customer with the double sized backup is using a domain alias along with their hosting, so they have 2 domains pointing to the same exact stuff. Although i do not believe this problem was originally happening. Not sure whats going on or how i can configure the backup to only backup certain things.

We need more control over how we are able to backup our clients. It wouldn't be so bad if the client didn't have 2GB+ of data to backup, which is now being doubled.

Hopefully the folks at Parallels reads this forums and can maybe provide some answers.

I have noticed this also. I have about 65 GB of info on my server and my backup is over 100GB. It wasn't like this on plesk 9. The backup always was about the same size as the information being saved. It doesn't make sense.

This problem is already reported to developers and they are working on it.
I will update thread with results as soon as I receive it.

Hi! Any news? This is a rather painfull problem.
Any workarounds, yet?
Thanks!

Try to replace ​/usr/local/psa/PMM/agents/PleskX/PleskX.pm with the attached file. Do not forget backup original file.

Attachments

• PleskX.pm.gz
    65.7 KB · Views: 18
fix does not work

Hi Igor just tried the fix,

but that just caused a complete Backup failure.

I can provide you my error log files if you need them.

Regards
Michael

I got the same problems on my server. I had to deactivate PLESK backup because the files were twice as big as usual.
I really need to get it working again for my customers.
Could you please give us a fix for this bug?
Thanks in advance.

Great! I came across this topic because I experience the same issue. Installed Plesk 10 a couple of days ago and it appears that an issue of 2 month's old isn't solved yet!
Such fix can take a few days, mostly one week, but no longer!!

When can we expect the fix (in a micro update)?

Yes, a fix would be greatly appreciated. Our backup ftp grinds to a halt with that size of backups.
Igor, thanks for your initial fix. Could you possibly revisit it and check out what's gone wrong?
Thanks!

Hi Igor! Now that the size is back to normal it seems another problem has been cropped up.
If we're using Multivolume Backups, the backup script produces the multi-volume chunks, PLUS a single full backup. I.e. again twice the resources used.
Could you please look into this? Thanks!

Well with my Plesk 10.3 this issue is still open. The Backup-Size is still about 60 GB, but was 30 GB with Plesk 9.x.

The File to download leads to a not working Backup (backup-failure).

Any hints?

Back