• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Backup Manager - Failed Backups When Testing Restore

JohnD

New Pleskian
I have Backup Manager (Tools/Settings) backing up multiple websites and it was definetly working well 4 months ago.
Now I have encountered some MAJOR issues on Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11 Update #68 Linux.

1: Despite having encryption set for the backups - they are NOT encrypted. Tested twice by entering a password into the encryption setting and then downloading the final TAR's.
2: The backups are often damaged. The TAR files mostly extract but often find some files won't.
3: Despite being set to backup everything - it selectively leaves out certain domains. WT!!
4: The schedular is not always working - Set for 3am with no error reported but no backups either! What!!

I went and bought the 'Backup To Cloud Pro' just incase this was an issue with FTP but backing up to Google Cloud has the same problems.

Anyone else bothered to test the backup system recently?

Well I hope everyone has checked to see that their backups are actually unzipping correctly and anyone with encrypted backups checks that are actually encrypted!

This feature means not all backup content is crypted, but only critical data, passwords, logins, etc. for example.
The password will be requested for restoring this crypted content of backup.
In your archive you can open xml file like backup_*_info_*.xml and check passwords there. They will be encrypted.

Thank you for the reply.
It would be helpful if this was mentioned on the page that says it will encrypt the contents of the backup as its not really true.
So things like databases that contain sensitive data that should be secured are not encrypted - quite dissapointing.
Still doesn't expain why I get damaged TAR files (having all the parts) and why sometimes it doesn't backup certain domains at random.

Still doesn't expain why I get damaged TAR files (having all the parts) and why sometimes it doesn't backup certain domains at random.
Many different reasons are possible. For example, often these problems are caused by the lack of resources of your virtualization environment on which Plesk server is installed. Without a detailed investigation of the log files, attempts to reproduce the problem, research the environment is difficult to say something. Therefore, I highly advise you to contact Plesk support team. Problem will be investigated and fixed directly on your server.

Back