• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Backup MX with Plesk Onyx

peraburek

Basic Pleskian
how to configure Backup MX with Plesk Onyx ?

I don't mind using CLI but there is no recent info in WIKI or FAQ

I am using Postfix, and I found this: https://www.howtoforge.com/postfix_backup_mx

is there anything else required, security-spam related is it safe to configure like that?
will backup MX (Plesk Onyx with SpamAssassin) check for SPAM

thank you

I have two Ubuntu 14.04LTS servers running latest Plesk Onyx 17.0.17 Update #12

first server is primary MX server, second server I have configured Postfix to act as backup MX server in order to have e-mail reliability and redundancy, when primary MX is down

however, it is NOT possible in Plesk Onyx to WHITELIST IP address of backup MX server

you can whitelist domain or e-mail address, but that means you would have to whitelist every e-mail address on planet earth (doesn't make sense)

Plesk NEEDS to add option to WHITELIST IP ADDRESS in order to exclude it from SPF and Greylisting, but leave DKIM, AntiVirus, and SpamAssassin checks in place

relaying breaks SPF so this is the reason why we need exception (exclude backup MX IP from SPF checks)
Greylisting own backup MX on primary MX server doesn't make sense either, only causes delay in delivery, so we need option to whitelist backup MX IP for greylisting

long story short, it is not possible to use Plesk Onyx together with external backup MX due to Plesk SPF and Greylisting lack of functionality

1. there is no whitelisting for SPF whatsoever
due to rubbish "postfix-policyd-spf-perl" it has NO config file
according to https://www.lux-medien.com/blog/policyd-spf-and-whitelisting.html "postfix-policyd-spf-python" does the trick - and it supports easy whitelisting

2. there is only domain whitelisting for Greylist
so you would have to whitelist every e-mail address and every domain *@* in order to allow getting e-mail from BackupMX without delay (which effectively kills greylist functionality)

Cmon Plesk Team, do the basic math and fix this!

https://docs.plesk.com/en-US/12.5/a...s/sender-policy-framework-system-linux.59435/

ok here is how to get around SPF check

on your Primary MX go to: Plesk - Tools & Settings - Mail Server Settings - Switch on SPF spam protection - SPF local rules

add either PTR domain:
SPF local rules
ptr:your-backup-mx-server.tld
(your backup MX mail hostname - domain)

or IPv4:
SPF local rules
ip4:200.100.201.101
(your backup MX IP address)

thanks to Lars-Erik for such a great help in comments!!!!

still, I don't know how to Whitelist Backup MX IP for greylisting

Last edited:
Realmente no quiero una copia de seguridad como esa, dado que el servidor falla durante 2 días, el correo no se pierde, pero no se recibe en la perspectiva del cliente. Quiero encontrar la solución para un servidor de respaldo funcional.

He creado un hilo con este tema para ver si podemos hacerlo.

Realmente no quiero una copia de seguridad como esa, dado que el servidor falla durante 2 días, el correo no se pierde, pero no se recibe en la perspectiva del cliente. Quiero encontrar la solución para un servidor de respaldo funcional.

He creado un hilo con este tema para ver si podemos hacerlo.
Please note, that official forum language is English. Please, be so kind to rewrite your message in English. Thanks.

Hello everyone and thanks for the help you provide. I have a Plesk Onyx server with Linux. Compress a vps machine with plesk onix with linux. work done.
So I configured the following DNS entries:
Sever 1 10.10.10.0
mail.xxxxx.com ____ a___ 10.10.10.0
mail2.xxxxx.com ____ a___ 10.10.10.1
x xxxxx.com _____ mx10____ 10.10.10.0
xxxxxx.com _____ mx20____ 10.10.10.1
ns1. xxxxx.com _____A_____ 10.10.10.0
ns2. xxxxx.com _____A_____ 10.10.10.1
server backup 2 mail.xxxxx.com ____ a___ 10.10.10.0
mail2.xxxxx.com ____ a___ 10.10.10.1
x xxxxx.com _____ mx10____ 10.10.10.0
xxxxxx.com _____ mx20____ 10.10.10.1
ns1. xxxxx.com _____A_____ 10.10.10.0
ns2. xxxxx.com _____A_____ 10.10.10.1

I manually create email accounts on both servers. What I want is that server 1 drops, server 2 works. The problem is that when I turn off server 1, the accounts give error to the server 2. What am I doing wrong?

Back