• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Backup of /var/lib/psa/dumps

mr-wolf

Silver Pleskian
Plesk Guru
Up until recently we were given 1 TB of FTP-space with each server we are renting at a popular provider.
They stopped doing that.

Because we're not using much space on the 2 TB that's available on each server I thought of using the several Plesk servers as a back-up themselves.

I first thought of syncing software like syncthing or resilio sync, but these services want to have write access in those folders. Because I don't want to run these services as root, this is a no go.
Some of the files that are in that folder don't even have write access for root, BTW.

I then thought of creating a dedicated subscription with a special FTP-account.
But this has a downside that this folder gets back-upped on the target server. That's something I don't want. Maybe I should create an FTP-account outside of Plesk's scope, but I still need to investigate how to do that in an elegant way.

What are you doing???

I'm now going for an FTP-account that's managed within a Plesk's subscription.
Instead of creating an FTP-account to a folder in the webspace I'm pointing it to a symbolic link which refers to /var/ftpdumps
I used a normal GUI-FTP client to see if I could write to it and delete afterward and all that seems to work fine.

My goal is of course that the data inside that account isn't getting back-upped by the back-up that will run on that server.
I don't think it will, but one never knows.

Back