• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Backup problem with non-Latin file names

shinichi kudo

Basic Pleskian
hi
when i try to make a backup for a website that contains non-Latin file names, the generated zip file contains wrong file name (as per attached image) and when restored it's not working

Screenshot_2.jpg

any idea about this issue??

hello @shinichi kudo

I've tried to reproduce this issue with filenames that contains non-latin symbols in their names (japan, chines, european symbols with umlauts, etc)

in my case backup was created restored back successfully (I've removed these files before restore operation)
full subscription backup was used.

additionally I have created zip archive of folder that contains such files with plesk file manager and open it in the native windows explorer and it was able to open both files (archive and backup) and display file names correctly.

could you please explain, is your screenshot from the same machine where backup was done or you opened it on your laptop/pc ?

I can suggest that there may be the case when you made a backup and change system server locale after that. But this case may affect only windows platform.

In any way, I'd recommend you to fill the ticket to the technical support.

the file names are in Arabic like "عالم الألوان.jpg"
i tried on windows server 2016 and 2019 the same issue
this file name in the generated backup be like "???? ???????.jpg"

when i try to zip the folder on the windows and extract it works ok
when i make back up by Plesk the zip contains "?????" instead of the name and when i extract the zip i get the wrong name which contains "????"

i tried to change windows cultures and tried different tools for backup it only happens when i use Plesk backup and the result names after extract or import is as in the image in the thread, i tried domain backup and full back up and to make archive from the file manager in Plesk all the same issue ,, i have to sign in to the windows and back up the folders by add to archive in windows or use tool like WinRAR and make schedule by a script to backup correctly

i can't use Plesk support as i get the license from the host company and, they do not respond for support

could you please explain, is your screenshot from the same machine where backup was done or you opened it on your laptop/pc ?
i made the backups to be transferred to another Plesk host, it supposed to be imported correctly in the 2nd host but it didn't only the manual backup did
even not work my pc when i download it to my pc, this picture from the 2nd server (which has windows with the same settings as i needed to upgrade)

also happed before when i transferred backup for my site from cPanel and extract it on my Plesk

Last edited:
could you please check at Windows Control Panel > Clock Language and Region > Region > Administrative tab
what language is selected for non-Unicode programs ?

1620204476707.png

the file names are in Arabic like "عالم الألوان.jpg"
i tried on windows server 2016 and 2019 the same issue
this file name in the generated backup be like "???? ???????.jpg"

when i try to zip the folder on the windows and extract it works ok
when i make back up by Plesk the zip contains "?????" instead of the name and when i extract the zip i get the wrong name which contains "????"

i tried to change windows cultures and tried different tools for backup it only happens when i use Plesk backup and the result names after extract or import is as in the image in the thread, i tried domain backup and full back up and to make archive from the file manager in Plesk all the same issue ,, i have to sign in to the windows and back up the folders by add to archive in windows or use tool like WinRAR and make schedule by a script to backup correctly

i can't use Plesk support as i get the license from the host company and, they do not respond for support

i think it's issue in the archive exec of Plesk
btw, we're still not able to reproduce this problem even with Arabic symbols in filenames (like you provided)

what type of backup you're use: subscription/domain/customer/reseller or full server backup?

are you use latest obsidian (18.0.35.1) or something more older ?

could you please check at Windows Control Panel > Clock Language and Region > Region > Administrative tab
what language is selected for non-Unicode programs ?

View attachment 18758

it's Arabic (Egypt)

Also, i noticed that if i used the backup on the same server which take it works, but if i used it after reinstalling the server or on another server (with same exact settings and Plesk version) it does not work, even if i downloaded the zip to my local pc it also not works,
if i browse the archive it contains symbols instead of filename as per image, but if i make add to archive from windows or any other archive tool the file names displayed correctly and extracted correctly on any server

i'll try to take a screen record

i use latest version

@shinichi kudo ,

I've tried to make a backup on w2016 server with Obsidian 18.0.35.1 and restore it on another obsidian 18.0.35.1 at w2019 server.
backup had contained non-latin symbols (like you mentioned) in filenames. however it has been restored successfully.

please be sure that the region settings at the destination server are the same as at the source.

for future investigation you may create file %PLESK_DIR%/admin/share/pmmcli/pmmcli-rc
with 'FORCE_DEBUG_LOG 1' string (without quotes, of course)

probably backup logs at %PLESK_DIR%\PMM\logs\ will contain something that will help to find the root cause.

Also, did you try to use Plesk Migration Manager component for your purpose ?
Usually it works well for moving domain from Plesk server to another one.

Back