• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Backup Problem

J

johnpugh24

Hi all,

I am having a problem backing up on our Plesk 7.5.1 install using the Plesk Backup program installed on the start menu by Plesk. It seems to be a permissions issue as what is happening is when running the backup, it comes up with the following error:

Dump error

Can't create dump file for dump MS SQL database example_db: Cannot open backup device 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\tmp17.tmp'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

The Event Log says:

3041 :
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [example_db] TO DISK='C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\tmp17.tmp'

18204 :
BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\tmp17.tmp' failed to create. Operating system error = 5(Access is denied.).

If you change the permissions on this directory (give write access) the backup will work, but the permissions revert back after you log off and when the backup is run again the same error will occur (this also stops scheduled backups)

Has anybody got any ideas?

Many thanks

John Pugh

Hi,
The plesk back up utility currently does not back up **mssql** databases.

You need to back up your sql database separately through enterprize manager.

To back up the rest of the data through plesk back up utility, just ignore all the pop up error you get at start and once you passed the sql errors, your back up goes through fine.

Cheers:)

Hi Kami,

I think plesk does backup local MS SQL db's, just not remote ones (according to the docs ;-), whether that is true is another matter)

Either way it doesn't give me a choice whether to or not. Plus before the error comes up the backup program has restarted Plesk and as soon as you click on the ok button on the error popup everything finishes, not giving me a chance to ignore it :-(

Thanks for replying though,

John

Not fixed in 7.5.2

Hi.

We have upgraded our server to 7.5.2 and this problem is still present.

The new "backup" option on the domain control panel in 7.5.2 produces a slightly different error (inlcuded below), but the error from the Windows plesk backup utility is the same.

Error from Plesk Fomain Control Panel "backup" icon when trying to backup a domain:

Unable to create the backup file: Error domain_bu execution: Backup process has failed for domain '<domain name>'.
Can't create dump file for dump MS SQL database <database name>. Cannot open backup devide 'C:\windows\temp\tmp8.tmp'.
Device error or device off-line. See the SQL error log for more details.
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally..

Is anyone else running 7.5.2 on a Windows 2003 Standard box and getting the same problem?

I imagine if I give the user that SQL is running as permission to write to C:\windows\temp, then it may well work.

Hi,

If you grant modify permissions to the the windows user that your instance of SQL runs as, on the directory: 'C:\windows\temp\', then the Backup function on the domain control panel from inside plesk will work.

Applying the same permissions to the temp directory that the Plesk Backup utility uses to create a backup:

"C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\"

enables the backup to run, but only for the current log on. As soon as the user running the backup logs off and on again, then the permissions seem to be lost, and the backup fails again.

Any ideas on getting the backup utility working would be appreciated, as the Plesk domain control panel backup takes the site offline to perform the backup - which is not exaclty ideal.

Hi.

Is your sql service running as the "system" account, or, with a named Windows user account?

I suspect that you will not experience any problems if SQL server is running using the "system" account, as this account will have access to the folders that Plesk wants to use to write the temporary backup files to.

Regards,

Roland

Same problem here;

We have remote SQL registered to PLESK , and it gives error during dump...

Just one of the hundered bugs to be resolved :)

Originally posted by RCorbet
Hi.

Is your sql service running as the "system" account, or, with a named Windows user account?

I suspect that you will not experience any problems if SQL server is running using the "system" account, as this account will have access to the folders that Plesk wants to use to write the temporary backup files to.

Regards,

Roland

Hi
Mssqlserver is running as (THIS ACCOUNT) .\Administrator
I hobe it helps

I think that I've finally got to the bottom of this.

It seems that Plesk Backup (run from Windows, rather than a domain control panel) will only work if:

1. The SQL server is running as the "Local System Account".
2. And, on the SQL Server service properties, "Allow service to interact with desktop" is checked under the "Log On" section.

It would be nice if Plesk could be configured to run as a local user account, rather than using the System account, and the backup to work also.

I'll post a comment to the "feature requests" area on the forums.

Regards,

Roland

Back